Adsense

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Why I like being in a book club


I only like to read in bed, before I go to sleep.  I can read at other times and in other places, but I am able to focus best when I have no distractions (I'm talking to YOU Facebook!).  Just as we read to the kids before bed to settle them down and help them relax, reading to myself in bed works the same magic.  

I have a terrible time picking books.  Sometimes all of the dust jacket descriptions sound wonderful and sometimes none of them sound appealing.  The fact that virtually every stinking bookstore in this town has gone out of business contributes to my inability to find a good read.  Oh, also I usually have to shop with two boys who refuse to let me browse.  Ever.  

So I rely on my book club to tell me what to read.  This year I have read the following:

Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo
Two Rivers by T. Greenwood
My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok
The Tender Bar by J. R. Moehringer
Left To Tell by Immaculee Ilibagiza
The Paris Wife by Paula McClain
Lit by Mary Karr
The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff
One Day by David Nicholls

(Of these books, I would give My Name is Asher Lev the highest rating.  It was exceptional.  I think the weakest one is One Day.  It held my interest, but I found one of the main characters highly annoying and it tended toward to be a love story, which I generally dislike with the exception of Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, A Room With a View and Pride & Prejudice.  The Brontes, Austen and Forster knew how to do it right.)

On my own, in the couple months that I decided not to read the selected book for book club, I managed to read Life of Pi by Yann Martel, A Parchment of Leaves by Silas House and I am determined to finish Water for Elephants by Sarah Gruen before the end of the year.

As soon as I can buy a copy, I will also re-read Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte for December's book club.  I read it the first time in high school and loved the "romance" of the love story about Jane and Mr. Rochester.  When I re-read it in my early 20s, I was more enthralled with Jane's feminism and strength as a woman.  I submit that this 3rd reading will find me more interested in the crazy wife in the attic, Bertha.

I could have sworn I had my own copy of Jane Eyre on my bookshelf, but I don't, which I think makes me ineligible to continue hanging my English degree on my wall.

In recent years my book collection has shrunk considerably.  At some point I decided that I was only going to keep my children's novels (that I bought when I was a middle school teacher), classics and/or books I truly ADORE, which means I pass along quite a few that I read to friends and family.  I think the fact that I am purchasing books for 3 other people (ages 7 and under) also contributes to me not having as many of my own books to enjoy.

Despite my smaller collection, being able to see books one loves on a shelf gives me a tremendous sense of joy and pride and is one of many reasons why you'll never see me with an electronic reader.  

1 comment:

Keri said...

I'm always amazed when I hear someone say, "I never have time to read!" I don't care if I worked full-time and came home to take care of 14 children and 2 complete sets of elderly grandparents....I would STILL manage to find time to read. I know you're the same way.

And I know you've read my posts about my insanely looooong list of rules for choosing fiction, a list that aggravates me even though I'm the one who made it. I've just learned what I like and don't like, and I refuse to waste my precious reading time on anything in the latter category.

I LOVE that you chose Asher Lev out of this list as your favorite. I read The Chosen, also by Potok, in August, and I'm still blown away by it. It instantly became so special to me that I'm still trying to decide whether or not to read the sequel, for fear of diluting the power of the first one. I was dying to discuss the book with someone, and maybe I should read Asher Lev so that you and I can discuss it -- maybe that would be a good substitute.

I'm also right there with you about Jane Eyre. I've read it 3 times - like you, in high school,once in my twenties, and again in my early thirties. I'd like to read it again soon. It's flawless, in my opinion. (Love your crazy wife comment.) I used to rank Wuthering Heights above it, but as I grew older and more mature, Cathy and Heathcliff's relationship became slightly annoying to me, although I do still love the book.

Okay, obviously I need to join a book club because I'm going a little nutty here "discussing" books in a blog comment box. But I'd never do well in a book club because probably 99.5% of the selected books wouldn't fit my criteria and I'd have to skip those meetings.

One more thing -- e-reader? Nope. Have one. Tried it. Glad I bought the one that has full internet access and word games, because that's all I use it for. Never read books on it. Just too unsatisfying.

Okay. I'm done now. Carry on.