Adsense

Friday, November 25, 2011

Projects out the wazoo

When I get a hankerin' to take on a bunch of projects, I really take on a bunch of projects.  I have been on a somewhat manic project tear lately.  I will be a little glad when it subsides since it makes my usually long "to-do" list that much longer.

My parents purchased a new dining room suite a few months back, so I asked if D and I could have their old one.  When D and I moved into this house in 2001 we purchased a round glass-top table with seating for four, which doesn't quite work when your family is a party of five.  Glass is also very loud when Matchbox cars are banged on it.

The table and chairs are old.  Mom and Dad bought them used when I was a baby, so they probably have at least 40 years on them (I get being cheap very honestly).  Mom recovered the seats when she and Dad moved into their house in 2001 but they are in need of some loving.  D has also been complaining about how hard the seats are (D has a very sensitive ass, which could be the subject of its own blog post).

Project #200,684,629:  Purchase material for the chairs, some extra padding and recover them.

I decided that I wasn't going to get all matching fabric for a couple reasons.  I wanted to shop clearance fabric, and it is often difficult to find a ton of matching fabric in those bins.  Secondly, I thought it would be best to buy somewhat coordinating fabrics rather than all the same so that when the children destroy the fabric (which they will and soon), I can relatively easily find other semi-coordinating fabric without having to recover every chair again.

Here is what a chair looks like with Mom's fabric on it:

I am also going to cover the chair at my desk in the kitchen:

And here is the fabric:

I am quite tired of browns and taupes, and my eye was drawn to blues and greens.  The Jackson Pollack-like print doesn't have either of those shades, but I thought it would be perfect for the boys' seats.  Stains????  What stains????

I also wanted something funky and fun, and I thought these fit the bill.

With a big role of padding included, I spent about $47.

Pictures of the completed chairs to come whenever I get them finished......

No comments: