Adsense

Sunday, November 13, 2011

What I don't intend to (ever) do for Thanksgiving

We do Thanksgiving at my MIL's house every year.  Everyone brings a dish, although my MIL still seems to do a lot of cooking---the turkey, of course, but also her frozen cranberry salad and two types of stuffing (oyster, my favorite) and other things of which I'm not fully aware.  D's aunt usually brings a heavenly sweet potato casserole that is out of this world.  I bring something.....and every year it changes because I am sorta not very traditional when it comes to traditions.

I am perfectly happy to make a meal out of the side dishes.  Eff the turkey, I say.

My brother and his family generally spend Thanksgiving with my SIL's large family, so I always worried about mom and dad being alone.  Fortunately, my MIL always invites my parents for the meal.   My parents and MIL get along well, and I'm super thankful for this.  The kids get to see all their grandparents at the same time,  D and I aren't leaving one house having just eaten to then go to another house and stuff ourselves silly again, and I don't have to feel guilty that I'm not spending time with my parents and they are sitting alone in their home twiddling their thumbs.

I enjoy spending the holiday eating and enjoying the company of family, as well as going back to my MIL's on Black Friday to eat leftovers for dinner.

As much as I do enjoy this day of the year, I don't ever intend to cook a Thanksgiving meal of my own.  I have zero desire.  There are no Norman Rockwell dreams of family harmony I envision with hosting my own Thanksgiving.  Given how much I dislike cooking dinner every night, I most certainly don't want to fix anything larger than my usual nightly casserole and Ore-Ida french fries.  I know there is no gold medal in heaven for having prepared a Thanksgiving meal for one's family.  And if there is, I don't wanna go there anyway.

Sure, I fully anticipate changing my mind about this at some point....perhaps when I'm desperate to see my children and grandchildren and will be willing to cook and bake for days on end in order to do so.

But I'm gonna have to be really desperate to love on some grandbabies.  

No comments: