Adsense

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Travels with me (and my hair)

I didn't really catch the travel bug until after college, but my first adult-like travel adventure was when I was 19.  I went on a 10-week stint in England, Ireland and Wales with a professor and some other students.  I may have sent my boyfriend at home a Dear John letter and gotten temporarily engaged to a guy on the trip (ring included) only to get un-engaged some 4-6 weeks later.  I may also have done a tremendous amount of drinking while on this trip, which, perhaps, explains the engagement.

My hair was longish and shaggy until I got it chopped into a slightly more appealing do' in London.  (The picture below is after the haircut.)

Me and Bono at Rock Circus.


During college I went to two economics conferences---one in Boston, MA and one in NYC.  The NYC one was during my senior year.  That same year I went to NYC with a boyfriend to visit his sister.  When I graduated from college, my mom and I went to NYC as my graduation present.  We saw Sunset Boulevard with Glenn Close.  We also rode up there on a bus with a bunch of old folks---we were party animals.  I felt like pretty hot shit visiting the city that never sleeps 3 times in less than a calendar year.

After D and I had been dating about a year, we went on a Caribbean cruise----St. Thomas, St.Maarten, Barbados, Dominica, Martinique and San Juan, Puerto Rico.  It was on this cruise that we became engaged.  By this time, my hair was short again.

Me in Barbados.  


For our honeymoon in 1997, we went to Grand Cayman Island.



In 1998, we went to Las Vegas, NV, the Grand Canyon and Death Valley, CA.  Short hair (and apparently bigger boobs---wtf?).  Also HUGE glass lenses.  



In 1999, we went to Savannah, GA, St. Simon Island and the Biltmore Estate.
In 2000, we went to Virginia Beach, Colonial Williamsburg, and Assateague Island.  I was going through an unfortunate "longish" hair episode.  Clearly I hadn't learned my lesson from shaggy hair college days.  




In 2001, we went to Italy and Greece.  My bangs were longer but the rest of my hair was quite short, a look that I think suits me and was easy to maintain (until I became a mom).  




2002 saw me still sporting this longer "short" cut on our trips to Panama City Beach FL, and then Niagara Falls and Toronto later that year.




My hair was shorter again in 2003 when D and I visited Iceland.  

It was a little longer when we took our first trip with N in 2006 to Gulf Shores, AL.


A little shorter for DisneyWorld #1 in 2007 (in anticipation of baby #2, G, whom I was pregnant with at the time).


Similar style in 2009 when we went to Gulf Shores, AL again (while pregnant with M).


In 2011, a mom of 3 little ones and in DisneyWorld (take 2)---very, very short hair, and it looks to stay this way awhile.


Two things I love in life---traveling and getting my hair cut. 

No comments: