Adsense

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Addicted to craigslist

As I mentioned on this blog recently, I am not a big shopper, but I have discovered the joy of craigslist, especially concerning the purchasing of most things kid-related.

When N was a baby/toddler, I bought everything new, but eventually I realized that this was kinda stupid because kids have two purposes in life: 1. drive their parents nuts and 2. destroy everything they touch.

So I wised up and have since been much, much, much more adept at searching consignment sales and online for gently used and much less expensive items.

When G turned 1, I wanted to get him one of the Laugh & Learn Learning Home, which retails brand new for $80. I got one off craigslist for either $20 or $25. It is in great condition other than the little flower in the flower pot is gone.

For Christmas 2008, I wanted to get him a Little Tikes Cozy Coupe, which retails brand new for $50. Again, craigslist to the rescue, where I got his for $20-25. Great condition again.

G isn't the only one who has benefited from my online shopping. I bought a big bag of Barbie clothes for $12 for N this summer (I think we counted up like 28 outfits in the bag). They weren't in super marvelous condition, but after a 5-year-old spends a couple months changing doll clothes repeatedly, they are all rags anyway.

And third baby is reaping the rewards of craigslist before birth.

This weekend I met up with a woman who sold me a really nice exersaucer for $15. Great condition, and I should be able to get most if not all of the money back out of it when I sell it sometime in the future (provided G doesn't break it while trying to launch himself off the top).

Now tonight, after an unsuccessful attempt at finding a glider for the new baby on Sunday at the half-price consignment sale, I found a white one on craigslist being offered for $30. I'm waiting to hear back as I type this.

I know there will come a time when my kids may balk at the idea of gently used items, so I'm spending wisely now and saving up for those big-ass ticket items (if they are anything like their daddy they are gonna have champagne taste).





1 comment:

Momisodes said...

I love Craigslist as well. I sold a ton of my daughter's things on Craigslist before moving to Boston. I bought plenty of things new with my daughter. But I will be much wiser this time around. I definitely like their prices better than new.