Adsense

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Showered

Some of my MOMS Club friends gave me a shower today for baby #3. They had intended for it to be a surprise, but I kinda fudged their plans (insert evil sounding laugh here). So they had to spill.

Even though I wasn't technically surprised, I was surprised to have a shower for this baby at all simply because it is my third. It is a wonderful gesture, though, because every baby is a blessing and a gift and deserves to be celebrated. Maybe this one even more so because it is my last.

My friends were extremely generous and thoughtful----lots of diapers, a couple outfits and some baby necessities, like bibs, towels and receiving blankets.




I also received a bag of marbles, since I have apparently LOST MINE! (And the picture of me below with my marbles shows just how right on P was in giving them to me!).


Another reason why it is nice to have a shower for every baby is because if you keep a pregnancy journal, the third child doesn't feel like such an afterthought based on the lack of entries. Each of my journals allots like 4 pages for shower information, and with N's journal, I filled that sucker up. I had a family shower, friend shower and workplace shower. We needed everything and got everything.

When G came along, I had a MOMS Club friend shower. He was my first boy so I needed boy clothes and various "blue" accessories.

But this one is my third child and either my 2nd son or 2nd daughter. There is really nothing I need, per se. Well, certainly another set of arms, but c'mon. That section would have been left blank or I would have had to write in really big letters, "MAMAW GAVE YOU A SLEEPER."

I have decided that journal publishers need to offer baby #1, #2, #3 and even surprise baby pregnancy journals. Below is why....

Journal Entry Examples for each of my children:

My first thoughts on discovering I was pregnant with you was....

N---Oh my god, I can't believe we got pregnant so fast!
G--Oh my god, I thought I'd get pregnant immediately and I didn't so I am thrilled to finally be pregnant.
#3--Oh my fucking god, I can't believe I got pregnant on the pill.

My thoughts on my pregnant body as I carry you...

N--This is totally amazing, seeing you grow inside of me.
G--Oh, I forgot how amazing this is, and seeing your sister learn about you growing inside me is so neat.
#3--Is my ass really that fucking big, and what are the chances it will shrink given that I will be caring for three kids?

When I imagine you being born I think....

N--I hope I have the world's most perfect birth because you are a treasure, and I so want your entry into the world to be wonderful, peaceful and memorable.
G--You will bring so much adventure to our family....being a little brother to your big sister. Your birth will change our family dynamic.
#3-- A vacation from cooking, cleaning and dealing with your siblings!! Hot DAMN!!

See, one's mentality changes as one moves from the thrill of a firstborn to the birth of a third or fourth or 19th....

Not that it isn't a miracle. It always is, but you get over the miracle faster with each one because the reality of being a mom to other children doesn't give you the time to savor the miraculousness of it all.

And I think these goofy journals should reflect that.

3 comments:

Giselle said...

Oh, how I love the Louisville moms...best showers I ever had. ;)

Kelsey said...

I think you might be on to something with those baby book ideas!

Keri said...

How great that you got a shower for #3! Not many moms can say that, you know?

And I love the idea for different baby books/pregnancy journals. I know you wrote this tongue-in-cheek, but seriously, the first is SOOOOO different from all subsequent experiences.