Adsense

Thursday, September 3, 2009

What little I can do

I have often thought that at some point I might be interested in serving in a public office. I don't know that I've ever actually admitted that to anyone, even D.

Whenever I have this thought, though, I have to remember that even though I think I can "rumble" fairly well, my insides go all bonkers whenever I face conflict, and I obsess over it.

Which brings me to this never-ending saga of the health-care reform debate. There are many things I think could be done to reform health care. Put caps on malpractice torts. Regulate the health care industry so no one can be denied coverage or charged exorbitant prices. Mandate that everyone has health insurance (we do it with car insurance, why not health?) Throw out the whole pre-existing condition rule. Make preventative care and public health stronger than what they currently are.

I am all for personal responsibility. I live my life according to it's principles. It burns my rear when I hear of folks using Medicaid who want to bitch about their "inadequate treatment," like having to see a nurse practitioner instead of a doctor. It pisses me off that generations of families live as parasites off the welfare system.

BUT, I cannot help but keep in my head the saying, "There but for the grace of God go I." A strong work ethic, an appreciation for help when it is given, a belief in the power of education---these are learned. My parents, who both came from very meager circumstances, taught me these values. And sadly, there are many, many people in this country who don't learn these things.

And even among those who do, life is sometimes a bitch and hands you a bucket of shit to hold. I think of them primarily whenever I think of the health care reform debate. The people who hold the jobs and work and try to keep their homes and raise their families and are forced into dire circumstances because of the health cards life dealt them.

I guess I simply don't understand the reasons behind some people's arguments against a government option for health care.

Some say it will be expensive to pay for. I agree, but not doing anything is going to be even costlier to individuals and the country as a whole. When my daughter was born 5 and a half years ago, I think we paid maybe $200 for her delivery. As I've mentioned numerous times, this third child will cost close to $10,000. And I would much rather be taxed at a certain percentage than have all sorts of "hidden fees" in my private health care to cover the uninsured.

Some say they don't want the government's hands all over everything. Maybe not, but have these people ever mailed a letter through the US Postal Service? Do their parents utilize Medicare? Have they ever filed unemployment while laid off? Have they ever used the internet at their local public library or checked out books? Do their kids attend public schools? If you utilize all of these things, and have no problem with it, then what exactly is your fear with a public health care option? The government isn't going to make you use it, right? You will still have the choice of private health care, so run with it if it makes you happy.

Some people are just plain scared of the unknown, and I can completely understand this. The devil you know is worse than the devil you don't know. But the current state of health care is a pretty bad fucking devil, so I'm willing to take a chance on the other boogeyman waiting behind the door.

No comments: