Adsense

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Music memories

I hadn't thought about Jeff Buckley in ages, but someone mentioned his song, Lover, You Should Have Come Over, on a friend's FB update, and so I had hubby put the album Grace on my Ipod.

Hearing those songs is like being lifted out of my skin and spun back in time to the mid-1990s. I don't remember who introduced me to Buckley, but it became a love affair that I thought would never end. Hearing the songs on Grace reminds me of so many things.... a trip to New York in college with an economics professor and some other students for a conference, meeting and dating my husband, carrying N (I told you my love affair spanned a big ole chunk of time).

It is a tremendous feeling when a song or songs transports you back in time.....it brings a piece of you thought long-dead back to life.

Duran Duran songs reminds me of my childhood....from 3rd grade onward, dancing in the school talent shows, watching their videos on Mtv (when videos were actually shown on Mtv).

High school was my rap and R&B phase. Straight Outta Compton, Nothin' But a G Thang, I Wanna Sex You Up, Keep on Movin'---I spent so much time dancing. Best shape of my life in high school. If only I had that much energy now. Every weekend I spent dancing at the Maze.

And then college was grunge. How many times did I listen to Pearl Jam's Ten??? How cool did I think I was to skip Shakespeare class to see them in concert (the only college class I ever skipped)? College was also Tori Amos' Little Earthquakes.

In general I have a truly terrible memory, but hearing songs from my past reminds me of so many experiences, so many people. Loves and losses at love, school, confusion, sadness, joy. And the shame is that I can't convey to anyone the waves of memories that overcome when I hear this music, these particular songs.





1 comment:

Keri said...

I know - isn't it absolutely amazing how songs seem to almost literally transport you to a place and time in your past??

Right now, the most bittersweet ones for me are the kids' songs that Bailey and I frequently listened to around the time when Audrey was born. When I hear those songs, I feel like I'm the mom of a tiny, newborn girl again...sniff, sniff...