Adsense

Friday, September 25, 2009

2 years tomorrow

My dear sweet boy,

What did I think having a son would be like? I think I was mostly worried about handling your parts during diaper changes, but I was also concerned that I wouldn't know how to interact with you since I was so used to mothering a girl.



I quickly got used to being peed on in "fountain fashion," and I found that relating to a baby, whether boy or girl, is the same-- Nursing and snuggles and goo-goo baby voices. And so I stopped fretting and have just tried to enjoy you....



You became a little boy overnight, or at least that is how it feels to me as you turn 2 years old tomorrow. I can see that you look at the world differently from me....you want to see how things work, where things go, how things happen. Like the day you kept pouring sand through the umbrella hole in the sandbox and ducking underneath to see it fall out the bottom to land on the patio. Over and over you did this.


And you like to bang and crash things together, be it your body into something or your cars into each other. Most everything you do physically is with seeming intent of hurting yourself as badly as possible. Somehow that hasn't happened yet, but you are no holds barred when it comes to running, jumping, flopping, pouncing or landing.




But you are also sensitive and sweet, giving N hugs before she gets on the bus, being concerned when someone has a boo-boo, loving on babies you see at My Gym or the library.

Most of the time you are very happy little boy, smiling and eagerly playing. You love to play with your numerous cars, lining them up on the couch. You love to play chase with your sister whenever the opportunity arises. You love to read books, especially when they are about Lightning McQueen or Thomas the Train.



And you talk alot....more than I think even your sister did at your age, but you have her to sing you songs and listen to. You've gotten to the point where you request songs in the car just as she does when we head out on the road. You ask for Sheryl Crowe's Real Gone or as you put it, "Queen Song" (since it's from the movie Cars).



As I prepare for your new sibling to arrive, I worry that you will become sandwiched in the center and suffer all those "middle child" issues I hear about. But hopefully you and I will adjust to this new family dynamic well, without too many problems.


You are a delight to me, and I am so happy I have been able to experience you and all your boyness. I know there will come a time when I will no longer understand you because you'll adopt grunting as your primary form of communication, and you'll probably be stinky alot of the time, and you'll talk about cars and sports in terms too complicated for me to comprehend. But you will be a delight to me then too.

Love,
Ommy

No comments: