Adsense

Sunday, September 20, 2009

When life makes you realize you've got it good

I know without a doubt that I've got it good.

I've got a great husband who dislikes sports as much as I do. The only reason either of us knew there was a game between UL and UK yesterday was because of reading FB and Twitter (he's a twitterer). And I thought they were playing basketball, not football.

I've got 2 beautiful kids and 1 beautiful fetus who exasperate me and yet bring me utter joy at the same time.

I've got a nice home, a solid education, good health (overall), and savings in the bank.

But even when you know you've got it good, if you are hard-wired to worry, you find something to stew over, and for me, especially with a new baby coming, that worry is money-related. But my worry isn't, "How are we gonna feed 3 kids?," it is more on the order of, "How long will it take us to put $10,000 into this new baby's 529 plan?" (which we have done within a year of the other two's births).

In the grand scheme of things, this isn't even worthy of being a worry. I recognize that fact perfectly.
But everyone gets tunnel-vision, thinking their "issues" are critical.

Recently, though, I had occasion to review my insular thinking. I saw a former student of mine, a girl (I say girl because I taught her when she was a girl and have a hard time thinking of former students as anything other than kids) who was simply the nicest, hardest-working student. Simply kind, thoughtful and an extremely hard worker. She was my student in 6th grade and my aide in 7th and 8th.

She has had a challenging life, even as a kid, but never allowed that, at least to my estimation, to affect her negatively. I never, ever saw a chip on her shoulder.

She is about 19 now, expecting her first child, a son and scared to death. Working at a local restaurant. She had to drop out of college due to family obligations.

It was a delight to see her, but I felt for her because of her circumstances, because of her youth. I had my first child at 30, had been happily married for over 6 years, had a master's degree, my own home and nothing but security, and I was a fucking nervous wreck. I cannot imagine how I would have felt at 19.

It dawned on me as I was driving home that maybe I could help her out somehow. Share some of my immense fortune of baby boy items....support her in some small way. So I called the restaurant, asked to speak to her again, and told her I'd like to help her out, if she was comfortable with that. She said she was, and did call me after she got off work, and we talked about her pregnancy and what she had and what she needed baby-wise.

I don't know how my offer felt to her because I wouldn't under any circumstances want her to feel like she's my pet "charity" case. This is certainly not my thinking. But she was always a "favorite" of mine as a student, and I just feel compelled to help her out, if in no other way than letting her know that I want to help if I can. Like it would almost hurt my heart if I couldn't do something for her.

So the ball is in her court. I have packed up items for her and will wait to hear what her work schedule is so I can drop baby goodies off. I hope she calls me back.

1 comment:

Keri said...

This is a great post, in so many ways. I'm glad you're seeing the good things in your life, and I hope to hear more about your former student.