Adsense

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Getting my jollies

There is no question that I am a nerd. But N going to kindergarten has brought to my attention just how big of a nerd I am. Not that I ever really forget that I'm a nerd, but I've got a big enough ego that I can convince myself that I am nerdy and yet brilliant and cool too.

One of the big highlights of my day, aside from when the kids go to bed, is when N comes home, and I get to go through her folder to look at her work and read any notes that have been sent.

Tonight was N's elementary school's Open House, and I was all excited about seeing where she sits and looking through her papers and doing the little "family" assignment the teacher asked the parents in attendance to do.

On our way out, I stopped in the library to ask when the kids would be able to start checking out books and to see when the book fair would be (Oct 23--huzzah!!!).

I keep thinking a full-grown, sexually active (ok, well not so much at the moment) woman with an advanced degree should probably not be as "into" kindergarten as what I am into it. But I just cannot help but love it.

N's teacher sent home a monthly reading log for us to do together the other day, so this afternoon I reserved a bunch of books for us from the library. Exciting stuff. And I am not being sarcastic. It really was kinda exciting for me to find some new and unusual books to share together before bedtime.

Being in N's school tonight makes me think about the things I loved about teaching....like doing book orders and reading books with my students and helping them do neat projects. Mind you, I don't mean to suggest I want to go back anytime soon because I also clearly recall how much damn WORK it is to teach. But it was always something I found immensely fulfilling.

Of course, at this stage, I can't even volunteer to be a room mother because I am a little swamped with little ones...or soon will be. But eventually I'll be able to do things at N's school....or when G is in school....or when #3 is in school. At some point, I'll be able to satisfy my love of education jollies more sufficiently.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you. The girls' stuff comes home in Friday folders every week. I still love to get AC's and go through it all. Glad Kindergarten is going well for you guys. It is here as well.

Susan

Unknown said...

Aw, I'm sure seeing all of her school handouts and assignments really bring back a ton of memories. I feel the same way every time I walk into a hospital. I keep telling myself it will all come in time.

I hope N has a wonderful year in kindergarten!

Keri said...

(I know I'm going backwards as I comment here, but I read most of these on Facebook, then eventually I make my way here to make all my comments. Don't ask me why.)

I am totally with you on the enthusiasm for going through the folder every day. I think that if we didn't love that sort of thing, we wouldn't have been teachers, you know?

I need to write my post on our favorite library books from this summer, to give you some ideas for your reading time. I'll try to do that soon.