Adsense

Monday, September 28, 2009

I think these are the best

I was never a big 10,000 Maniacs fan because it always sounded to me like Natalie Merchant was singing with a wad of half-chewed crackers in her mouth. Nice voice, but I often couldn't make heads or tails of what she was saying.

Still, I was able to understand enough to think of their song These Are The Days when I began mulling over this particular blog idea.

These are days you'll remember.

Never before and never since, I promise, will the whole world be warm as this.
And as you feel it, you'll know its true that you are blessed and lucky.
Its true that you are touched by something that will grow and bloom in you.

I rarely think about the next stages of my life....when the kids are in school full-time and what I might decide to do to fill up my waking hours. And that is because I believe these days, when the kids are young, are the best and sweetest. Without question, they are most physically and emotionally demanding because little kids need their parents for everything. Many times I feel like my head will explode if I hear, "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy" repeated one. more. time.

But there will come a time when the kids won't be as cute, as curious, as loving, as sweet as they are now. And I know I will miss it. I suspect D will too, although I know he aches for the time when they hang out in their rooms and don't interrupt every conversation he and I attempt to have. I would be a liar if I said I don't get tired of dealing with little people all day long....that sometimes the best part of my day is when they are both sound asleep in their beds.

Still, last night, writing in G's baby book about his 2nd birthday celebration, I looked back at each month of his first year---what he did, how big he was, what he looked like---and it made me happy to have experienced that time and sad that it flew by so quickly. It certainly wasn't easy. I mean the boy didn't sleep through the night more than 5 times until he was 14 months old. But overall, I'd have to say it was mostly joyous, and I'm guessing, but I don't think joyous describes living with teenagers.

So I'll savor these days. Including the last 9 of my final pregnancy.....

No comments: