Adsense

Thursday, November 12, 2009

My thoughts on celebrities

My general feeling towards celebrities is disgust, especially those celebrities who used to be normal people prior to becoming a reality star. Because reality stars do not have talent of any kind. They cannot act, sing, dance, nor are they outstanding looking.

I would go so far as to doubt to quality of talent of those who win shows like "American Idol." In comparison to artists like Joe Henry, who have quietly plugged their craft for years and years without the mainstream hoopla, they simply suck ass.

(Well, I guess I have to lump Tom Cruise in this "no talent" category as well even though some people would argue that he can, in fact, act and he is, in fact, good-looking. In my opinion, Tom Cruise can only and has only ever played 1 character his entire career. He embarrassed himself beyond belief with the whole jumping on the couch professing his love for Katie episode. He also knows jack fuck about antidepressants and reasons why people need such medications).

I have slightly better feelings towards those I consider actors, singers, dancers, artists of high caliber, such as Johnny Depp, Tom Hanks, Samuel L. Jackson, Catherine Zeta Jones, Helen Mirren, Meryl Streep. These people do the "craft" because they love it. But they make an effort to keep their private lives private. However, my issue with these folks is how much stinking money they make. While they provide a worthy gift to society, I personally think teachers, firefighters, police and nurses should be paid at least as much as those who offer us bread and circuses.

I have never watched a reality show. Never. I just can't tolerate the misbehaving antics of the people. It makes me cringe. And watching Tom DeLay dance simply wasn't on my bucket list.

However, I do LOVE reading People online or in print. Cannot get enough. So even though I abhor celebrities and refuse to watch them, I enjoy reading about them. So I guess I am sycophantic in my own way.

One of my favorite celebrities whom I love to hate is Tori Spelling. She is so talentless, and I just can't get over how she and Dean McDermott dumped their spouses for each other. Every time I read about her and Dean being "soulmates" I throw up a little bit in my mouth. When they divorce at some point, I will think back with great amusement to how their souls were, at one point, mated. And while I think cosmetic surgery has made her better looking than she was, the honest truth is that she still resembles a fish.

I like to think that if I ever actually saw a celebrity I would completely snub him or her and not start foaming at the mouth the way most people do. But then I must remember that in 1993 I and some of my fellow college comrades went ape-shit when we saw Bono and the Edge sitting nearby at a concert in Ireland. Can I blame this on being 19 and drunk?




1 comment:

Momisodes said...

Yeah, I feel the same way about many celebrities. Especially Tom Cruise!

And they are all definitely overpaid.