Adsense

Friday, November 6, 2009

Major accomplishment

Today I think I finished my Christmas shopping for my kids, nephews and nieces. It is a red letter day, for sure. Did I mention I did this and M will be just a month old tomorrow????

I have gone from thinking I wouldn't be able to leave the house for months to knocking out holiday shopping 7 weeks early.

My mom came over, and we went to Babies R Us and Toys R Us with all 3 kids. This was sort of pointless because neither of us was really able to look at anything. I spent most of the time walking around and nursing M at the same time, at one point even trying to push the double stroller as I was walking and suckling. Mom spent her time shepherding N and G.

However, I was able to walk through enough aisles with N that I got some ideas for the kids.

For lunch, we met my brother who gave me more ideas for my nephews.

After mom, the kids and I returned home, and I got G down for his nap, I ventured out to Target where I proceeded to grab up a bunch of stuff and get 'er done.

Now a little tiny part of me thinks I should have browsed more, put a little more time and thought into what I was getting for the kids. The larger part of me thinks that since all the kids I'm shopping for are ages 5 and under, they don't really give a shit how much effort I put into shopping. They just like toys. End of discussion.

I will have to purchase gift cards for N's teachers, bus driver and Girl Scout troop leader. And then there are the grandparents. But the bulk of my holiday shopping is done.

I'm gonna stuff the "stuff" somewhere and not look back. Not second guess. Not feel like I have to make everyone's, especially my children's Christmas, the be-all and end-all Christmas.

It feels good to my conscience and pocketbook to be cutting back this year.

2 comments:

Keri said...

You are so wise to make the quick choices and not look back. You're right -- they like toys and they'll like what they get. So what if they might have liked something else better? They'll never know, and neither will you, since you didn't give it much thought.

I have a terrible habit of waaaaay over-thinking gift choices, for ANY occasion. I should take this page from your playbook.

And again. The fact that you're almost finished with Christmas shopping 7 weeks early, and you have a newborn, a 2-year-old, and a 5-year-old...yes, this just CONFIRMS that you're more of a woman than me. I mean, than I. See, I can't even remember a simple grammar rule at 10:00PM.

Kelsey said...

I'm also trying to get the bulk of our shopping done early this year - though I wish I had your restraint. I go too crazy at Christmas.