Adsense

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Anniversary Cards

Today D and I have been married 11 years. We haven't done much of anything to celebrate. We bought each other cards, which are still sitting unopened on the kitchen table. Sneaky D did go out and buy me flowers when I took the kids to Meijer earlier in the day.

I HATE to buy anniversary cards because either the people who write the drivel on them are constantly high or they have no clue as to what really being married is like. I'm sorry but after 11 years, most days I don't feel like this:

You are the man I adore, who's eyes sparkle like the heavens which brought your love to me, who's arms envelop me in feelings of safety, who's mouth kisses me with gentle softness to remind me of your passion, who's heart will be mine even beyond the grave.

Wreetch! Oh, excuse me, did I just yak in my socks?

I wish someone would write an anniversary card that says what is true, what is real, but leave out all the unpleasant true, real stuff like, "So help me God, if I have to pick up a mound of your dirty underwear from our bedroom floor, I'm gonna shove it down your throat." (BTW: D is extremely tidy so this is not something I'd ever have to say about him.)

I wish they'd just say something like:

Marriage is just a promise, so simple, so delicate. A promise between 2 people to be together no matter what. To move beyond just the new and passionate to a place that is stronger. To a place that has a shared history of joy and sorrow and everything in between. Marriage is being able, at the end of the day, to be glad we are with each other despite, or perhaps, because of, all the human frailties you and I brought to the table when we made a promise of marriage.

But even that is a little too gooky for my taste, and I wrote it.

Ah well.

I love you D. Here's hoping for 11 more, but let's just do our best to get to year 12.

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

I am the queen of cards and I ALWAYS find it difficult to buy anniversary cards for my spouse and for other couples as well. I often just buy a pretty blank card and add this quote:

"Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that."

-Michael Leuning

It doesn't help me with a card for Matt though!

Congratulations again!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!
Beth