Adsense

Monday, November 24, 2008

Clean slate

Around this time every year, I purchase something for myself that brings me a tremendous amount of satisfaction: a new day-planner.

There is nothing like having an absolutely clean day-planner, although, in truth, I admit that this and opening up a brand new jar of peanut butter are in a dead-heat. See, I'm not high-maintenance.

At the back of my current day-planner, I have dr. visit cards piling up: my ob/gyn appointment in March, the kids' dentist visit in February. The last day of December is packed full of notes about the early weeks of January: G's playgroup, N's days off from school, D's haircut.

First, I go through my planner and mark family birthdays, wedding anniversaries and the anniversary of my FIL's death. Then I transfer appointment cards, taping them into their new homes. Finally, I jot down all those miscellaneous notes.

I know time doesn't just start anew on Jan 1, but there is something nice about seeing a new year laid wide open in front of me. It is full of possibility, and I always think good possibility, not bad. I start to think about vacations, parties and seeing the kids get older. I saw the date of N's preschool End of Year program, and I can't help but be excited by the prospect of seeing her "graduate" from preschool. And then there is her dance recital in June. That will be fun. And I think about G getting bigger, walking better, and being able to do more with him, watch him explore his world in a different way.

When the days are dreary (like today), it is especially nice to have a happy little reminder of something fresh, new and unknown.

1 comment:

Keri said...

I will admit to being in the same geeky club as you are, because I, too love a new calendar. In fact, I passed the calendar section at Borders yesterday and was tempted to stop and get my 2009 planner. But I decided to let the anticipation build a bit longer and wait until December to buy it. Love having something exciting to look forward to!