Adsense

Thursday, November 13, 2008

One of the best things about preschool

When I was teaching, I did the Scholastic book clubs. I know some people hate doing these because of handing the fliers out, collecting the money, logging the orders and then divying everything up when the goods arrive. But I loved every aspect of it.

So this was one of the things I most looked forward to when N started preschool last year. I would have been the book club mom for her preschool, but there was already a mom in charge of it. Darn.

I get really excited when I see N waiting in the carpool line with the fliers clipped to her bookbag. I am really good at telling N, "No, you can't have this, that and the other," but I am a sucker for books, especially fairly cheap books. I always allow her to purchase a couple books each time she gets a flier....mostly because I love looking through them myself and ordering.

And I recently realized that the books she doesn't select for purchase can usually be had at the public library. I just go online and reserve them at our local branch, instead of having to peruse the shelves myself, which can be difficult when G is knocking books down left and right in his attempt to annihilate the library. And if N doesn't like these, we aren't out anything except a little trip to the library to pick them up.

Of course, I am already thinking ahead to how I will budget book order purchases when both N and G are bringing them home from school. But, imagine: Multiple book club fliers! Yeeha!

2 comments:

Keri said...

Gee, I thought I was the only mom-geek who loved the sight of those Scholastic book orders coming home. I'm embarassed to say how much I anticipate receiving the fliers as well as getting the books I ordered a week and a half later. I really don't think Bailey cares, but I can't imagine missing a month.

Funny story -- Dion is in charge of our money. Last year, I wrote a check to Scholastic every month, usually for around $25, and waited for him to ask me about it. He never did, so I thought (tee-hee!) I was getting away with something. But at the beginning of this school year, he asked me if he should keep the $25 for Scholastic in our monthly budget. Guess I wasn't really as rebellious as I thought I was.

(I know this makes it sound like we have a dysfunctional marriage when it comes to money. We really don't, but there's enough of the kid left in me to want to be sneaky sometimes in a way that doesn't really impact things much. Weird, I know.)

Kelsey said...

Ooooh, I got so excited when Harper brought a book order home this year. I LOVED handling those when I taught. And I'm with you, I liked everything about it, inputting the orders, sorting them out when they came, and the bonus points didn't hurt. I used to have my scholastic id number memorized, so often would I "track" our order online.

My husband and I had to have a discussion about capping spending on books for Harper, more for her sake than for mine.

Of course I went crazy buying books when I taught so we have over 500 pictures books downstairs. And yet, I cannot help buying more. I figure I weed them out when my children outgrow them, making some very generous book donations or doing a series of seriously fun giveaways on my blog.