Adsense

Friday, November 21, 2008

To tube or not to tube?

We saw the ENT today about G's chronic ear infections. He said G definitely meets the criteria, which is 3 ear infections in 6 months. G has had 5 ear infections in 6 months, and 1 infection per month since September.

His ears were fluid-free today, although I would expect this since he has only been off Augmentin for 2 days.

I went ahead and scheduled the surgery for Dec 2nd, but I still feel a little uncertain, and it's mostly due to incomplete information.

Here's the deal:

1. We could just watch and wait. My gut tells me G is not magically going to stop having ear infections, especially since it is cold/flu season. But I guess it is within the realm of possibility that they could decline in frequency.

2. If we watch and wait, and he continues down the path of monthly ear infections, we will eventually have to go to antibiotic shots, which are painful and sometimes require multiple trips to the doctor's office.

3. We can watch and wait, and still think he needs tubes in February or March. I know for certain I will not go another 6 months with monthly or every-other-month ear infections.

4. We will not know what D's health insurance will be for 2009 until Dec 15th. It will probably be worse than what it is now. We have already met our $4,000 deductible for 2008, so doing surgery in 2 weeks means we pay 20%. If we wait until Jan 1 or later, we will pay 100% and who knows what our deductible might be. (Even more than infections or surgery, I really HATE having to think about costs, but I simply feel we have to consider it in our decision-making.)

5. We have a strong family history of ear problems. I had 3 sets of tubes, adenoidectomy, and then a final surgery to repair the hole in my eardrum that wouldn't heal. My dad has ear problems. Both of my brother's sons have had to have tubes due to chronic ear infections.

6. I can't help but wonder if G's poor sleeping isn't due to fluid in his ears, even when he doesn't have an active infection.

I dislike the idea of surgery, but I also dislike the idea of antibiotic overuse.

And while surgery is costly, taking G to the pediatrician for ear infections is costly. It runs $78 per ear infection visit, and $50 for ear-recheck visit. The antibiotics have ranged in price from $4 to $71. And up until this month's infection, we paid 100%. So ear infections thus far have cost us between $500 and $700.

So I guess I am to the point where I feel tubes are the best option for G. Continuing ear infections and doctor visits start to wear on both a child and parent after awhile. But I still can't help but worry whether this is the best decision. Such is life.

What would YOU do?

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

We were never in this situation with Harper, but Michael has already had one ear infection and my husband had MANY of them as a child. I really don't know what I would do, but I would be very wary of continued antibiotic exposure on such a regular basis, especially for our family with our allergy history. I'm going to direct my friend Erin to this post because she has more concrete experience than I do. Good luck with your decision making!

Keri said...

Good heavens, the costs of all of those visits and meds! I guess I've taken our $15 copays for granted... If it was me in your situation, I'd definitely go for the tubes, for multiple reasons. I won't elaborate on them here, but I think you're doing the right thing...for what my opinion's worth.