Adsense

Friday, November 14, 2008

So close, and yet so far

Lately I've been thinking about how I've changed throughout the course of my life. Some of the changes have been a good thing, and some of the changes have just made things more complicated.

I am far less insecure than I used to be. For the most part, I am pretty happy with myself. I used to spend an inordinate amount of time wondering what various people thought of me. Now, I don't care so much. I've gotten to the point where I first wonder, "What do I really think of so-and-so?" instead of, " Does so-and-so think I'm cool/nice/fill in the adjective?" When I do have moments when the 2nd question precedes the 1st, I am usually pretty quick to catch myself and turn things around.

I still stew alot, though, if I have hurt or think I've hurt someone's feelings, which probably relates a bit to the previous paragraph. That doesn't mean I apologize. I might beat myself up reliving the hurt feeling event, but I generally come to the conclusion that what I did or said what was best for myself/my kids/my situation.

For awhile I had gotten to where I worried less about money, but this economy has me a bit stressed. It is increasingly hard to save money...or enough money as I'd like to save to feel secure.

Of course, having my kids has changed me a lot. I always knew I wanted to get married, but I never thought much about having children. I was never a person who ooohed and aaahed over babies. I'm still not into babies (except my own babies). Having children was never a big deal, a big goal for me. But having my children made me wonder if those years weren't just a big case of "the lady protesting too much." Because it still puzzles me that I went from being uncertain whether I wanted any children to wanting 3.

Inside, I feel like a combo of who I was at 16, who I was at 22 and who I am at 35. At 16, I felt on top of my game....confident, a leader, a person with lots of energy and friends and interests. At 22, I felt jaded, artistic, unsure of anything I wanted or needed, desperately in need of direction. And how I feel at 35...a little more wise, a lot more tired.

It makes me wonder if I will always carry these young "versions" of myself as I age. And one day look in the mirror and think, "Who is that old lady looking back at me?"

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

This reminds me of a story I read for the AP English exam in high school. By Sandra Cisneros (sp? I'm too lazy to look it up.) I think. It was told from the perspective of a still young girl but she talked about feeling all her past ages rolling around inside her like marbles in an empty band aid tin.