Adsense

Monday, November 1, 2010

Honey, love the one you're (least likely to be driven crazy by)

I complain about my hubby.  Today is our 13th wedding anniversary and my 4th year blogging, so the man is used to it.  But I would complain about any man I married or had lived with for an extended period of time.  Living with another human being is just difficult at times.  Throw in some mini-tyrants ages 6, 3 an 1, and you've got a recipe for daily frustrations.

What I try to remember is that the things that drive me nuts about D, like his inability to make a decision and his lack of eagerness to take control of situations, are also some of the things that probably keep our relationship from imploding over the long haul.  Because I like to make decisions and want to be in control of situations, so if I was having to constantly duke it out with D to be "top dog," we would fight constantly.

There are simply some occasions when I'd like to role change for a just a little bit....

There are also times when I'd like for D to be a little more social, to be a wee bit chatty.  But having had the misfortune of being around men (husbands of women I know) who won't ever shut the eff up, I realize that maybe being married to a quiet man who never draws the spotlight away from little ole me isn't such a bad thing.

It's not romance, but there is something to be said with realizing the grass that seems greener is either spray-painted, astroturf or the result of some toxic amounts of fertilizer.

D and I have 13 years under our belt, and maybe that is because both of us, though we get highly irritated with each other often, also recognize that we wouldn't necessarily be any happier with anyone else.

(Although as I type this, I think I should probably not use "we" and stick with "I."  It will really suck if I get a Dear Carrie letter tomorrow morning.)

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

WOW! 13 years is awesome! I think that some of the same ways you and D balance each other are present in my marriage to Matt.

Congratulations!

Keri said...

As one who is married to a VERY chatty guy, I simply can't fathom what it would be like to be married to a quiet, reserved man. I'm just a tad jealous. As you said, the grass is always greener... ;-)

It does seem like you and D complement each other fairly well. Congratulations on 13 years!!!