Adsense

Friday, November 5, 2010

Appreciating a mom

A Facebook friend posted the following as her status, which I promptly stole.....

3 Years old: My mom is the best! 
7 years old: Mom I love you. 
10 years old: Mom whatever
17 years old: OMG my mom is so annoying.
18 years old: I wanna leave this house
35 years old: I wanna go back to my mom's house.
50 years old: I don't wanna lose my mom. 
70 years old: I would give up everything for my mom to be here with me.
 ♥ I appreciate my mom


There is a tremendous amount to complain about as a mom...the job at times is thankless.  As a mom of young kids, I do get lots of slobbery kisses and cuddles, but I am also treated, at times, like less than a slave.  There is no end to the demands, day and night, that young children place on a mom.  Sometimes I hear, "Mommy, I want," or "Get me...." entirely too many times during the course of an hour.  


But I also know that there is just something about a mom that children cling to, regardless of their age.  The security of mom.  The comfort of mom.  The unconditional support that is mom.  And this is, in part, why I have never been terribly eager to think about my children moving beyond their needy, young childhood phase.  Even though it is terribly limiting for me as a person, it is also a period of time in which I am as close to being a god as I'll ever be.  


On a regular basis my mom comes to my house to "babysit" me, as I call it.  Usually this comes when I've been dealing with sick kids and been trapped inside for days at a time.  And I am 37 years old.  


There will never be a time when I don't need my mom.
And there will never be a time when my kids don't need me.....even though they might not admit as much.  


It is an awesome responsibility.  

No comments: