Adsense

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Why I am a dumb-ass

I try.  I really do.  But then I could kick myself for becoming the type of spastic mom I don't want to be.  I did this last year, too, but the pregnancy brain and the post-partum, lack of sleep brain made me forget what a bad idea it was then, too.

I decided it would be "fun" for N to make our Christmas cards, so I purchased some flat notes and envelopes and told her she could draw pictures and color them, and I would draw some pictures that she could color as well.  I say I want them to be her creation, but then I start realizing that I want them to look a certain way once I see her have at it.

(This was completely done by N.)

For example, on one she used markers, and by markers I mean dried out, nasty looking, dull as shit markers.  So I encouraged her to color over the markers with crayon to make the color more vibrant.  That went over like a ton of bricks.

Overall, she is doing a good job, and I am just biting my tongue in half when she scribbles her name a thousand times all over the pictures of angels and presents.  As if the intended recipient isn't going to pick up on the fact that they were done by our resident kindergartener.

On one she drew a snowflake.  When I asked if she was going to have room to write Merry Christmas she just put an "M C" on the note.  Because whomever we send this to is going to know what M C stands for.  Obviously.  They would be thinking their own abbreviation:  WTF?  (So I went in and wrote "erry hristmas" in the best way I could.)  And then I let her sprinkle glitter all over it.


Tomorrow morning, I am going to attempt to take a picture of all 3 kids in Christmas shirts/sleepers in front of the Christmas tree to send with our homemade cards.

And then I'm going to write a delightfully short "newsletter" of what we've done this year.  And by that I mean bitch about how hard it was to be pregnant, take classes, care for the kids, and now be a mom of 3.


(My amazingly artistic angel, colored by N.)

3 comments:

J.R. (or Ernst Wolfgang) said...

Carrie,

I love your postings. It's no surprise to me that you are as creative as you are. I remember some of our talks with Rick Mann and Ernest Evans and Rob Meyer in thse Econ classes.

I suffer from depression and anxiety that are the result of the chronic pain, but you mention having difficulties since you were 10. What symptoms started when you were so young?

In any event, keep up the great work and enjoy those kids whenever possible. My eldest is now a professional soldier so believe me when I say that time is more fleeting than you can imagine.

You may respond to my email if you'd prefer and you may not respond at all if you prefer as well. I do not mean to pry or open a can of worms if you're not comfortable opening up to me.

Take care of yourself, and I mean that in every way possible, Peace--JR

Keri said...

Your description of the card-making process at your house is exactly why I could never be a pre-school teacher. I never think of myself as a perfectionist until I try to help one of my girls with an art or craft project. Then I start twitching violently as I try not to "help" them too much when I see them doing something "wrong."

Of course, I can totally understand your desire for making the cards look presentable, seeing as they'll be sent out to family and friends. But you're right - the recipients will be delighted at the artwork of a kindergartner.

Kelsey said...

I think those cards are awesome and yet I would be the same way about wanting them to come out looking a certain way - and not exactly how a 5 or 6 year old would do it.

Writing only MC for Merry Christmas totally sounds like something Harper would do! :-)