Adsense

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

This I know is true---about breastfeeding

Even though I am nursing kid #3 and should have "this" down, I need to just accept that the breastfeeding rules don't always apply.

For example, the general rule is that if breastfeeding hurts or causes discomfort, it is due to a bad latch.  In my case, breastfeeding discomfort is due to the fact that my fucking right nipple is retarded and won't heal. Leftie is brilliant and 98% healed.  Dumb-ass righty is being a PITA.  I keep checking M's latch, and it is fine.  Three lactation consultants have said it is fine.  He is getting tons of milk in him...so the latch is fine.  But nippy just hasn't toughened up yet.

I can understand why many, many women stop breastfeeding, especially if they experience anything like what I experience.  But I tend to like challenges, and so I keep doing it.

Plus, I can't help but feel proud, looking at Chunky Monkey M, and knowing that I got him that way.  I did it!!  Not something from a can.  And knowing that every time he nurses he's getting thousands upon thousands of good antibodies.  I feel like I can safely go to the mall without spazzing off that he is catching every little bug that comes our way.

And I am lazy.  I don't want to mess with bottles and heating stuff up.  Too much preparation.  I don't even like to pump for an occasional bottle because it is too time-consuming.  It is so much easier to just unlatch by nursing bra and get 'er done.

At this point, I don't think I'll be getting my wish for non-sore boobies for Christmas.  Well, a non-sore leftie.  C'mon righty!!!  Get with the program!

No comments: