Adsense

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Christmas decorating challenge (my cheapness AND laziness)

I am no good at decorating for Christmas. It has always seemed a tremendous waste to me because it is only up for 3 weeks or so. Even more wasteful than decorating itself has been spending any money on decorating for the holidays. But when I mentioned in my last post that I was wanting to do something with my mantel, my friend KB challenged me to a mantel decorating extravaganza. She, too, has been wanting to do something to her mantel, so we are going to post pics of what we come up with.

Today I shall post my "BEFORE" picture:


With Nana watching the boys, I was able to venture out to do a little shopping, and I was able to get everything I needed to decorate my mantel. I like it, but I'll wait a couple days to post the picture (to keep my increasingly small readership on the edge of their seats. Where'd ya'll go, by the way?).

I thought I wanted to keep the wreath for two reasons: 1. My MIL made it for us when D and I first got married, so it has some sentimental value, and 2. I hate to not use perfectly good stuff. But at the same time, I thought that if I saw something that I really loved that would be perfect, I would consider buying it. I used to hang the wreath it on my front door, but N found a Santa face made of yarn at Papaw's house that her great-grandma had made so we have that on our front door now.

While at Garden Ridge, I did find some cute wreaths, one I liked even, and they were on sale at 50% off. However, the wreath I liked (not loved) was $49.99, so even on sale it was $24.99. Now had I not had a wreath at all, $24.99 is a good price. But when I already have a wreath, and I wasn't head-over-heels for the one I saw, it was no-go. Frugality beats all.

I debated not getting the things I ended up purchasing so that I could check other stores, but since I really don't like to shop and my ability to get out and actually browse by myself is extraordinarily limited, I just went ahead and got 'em. If I am lucky enough to get out after the holidays and find other decor I like as much or even better, I can always get it to use for next year. Plus, it will be way cheap. And I totally love way cheap.

Mine and D's stockings are the ones we've had since childhood, so I opted to do the kids' stockings the same way. I spent a whopping $1.99 on M's. I really liked the ornate ones or cross-stitched ones at the stores, but, again, why toss stockings that do their job just fine?

Stay tuned for more pics of the After mantel, as well as my half-ass way of doing the basement Christmas tree.

2 comments:

Bettina said...

This is totally unrelated, but since I can't figure out how to contact you am leaving you a note. You asked a medical question on our site, bestforbabes.org, and I suggest you get in touch with mama@earthmamaangelbaby.com, she is a nipple queen! Even if her product doesn't work for you, she is sure to have good advice.

Cheers,
Bettina

Anonymous said...

How much longer is your readership going to have to wait? Help a sick girl stuck at home out!
Susan