Adsense

Monday, December 7, 2009

Goofy things you probably don't want to know about me

Right now my kids, for the most part, think I'm all that and a bag of chips.  But one day, they will think I am the biggest dope on the planet.  And then, when they have children of their own, they will think I am all that once again.

My mom had me when she was 35, and as a kid, I always thought she was so old, as all kids do.  But now that I am 36, I realize how young she was.  She was probably pretty cool in her own way, just as I am cool in my own way (stifle your laughter, people).

I have been thinking about things I do or think that make me unique that my kids might want to know about me.  Some of these things D didn't even know about me until I told him yesterday.

1. I never, ever, ever, ever wear Dockers-style khaki pants.  Or navy blue pants.  Ever.

2. In the fall, winter and spring, when I wear pants I like to wear silly socks that are brightly colored and have things on them like skulls, cats, flip-flops, bagels, and the like.

3. I will not wear tennis shoes with jeans.  Ever.

4. I didn't really put it together that maple syrup comes from maple trees until D told N today when she was eating her pancakes.  I just thought maple described the flavor....not the syrup's origins.

5. Until a few years ago, I thought the space shuttle returned to earth vertically, as in it came back down the same way it went up.  I didn't know it landed like an airplane on a runway.

6. I am naturally brunette, so #4 and #5 cannot be blamed on being a blonde.

7. I have never had a cavity.  And I hope to remain a cavity virgin for the rest of my life.  (There is something to be said for OCD when it means you brush and brush and brush and brush and brush.)

8. When I was a kid, a "friend" convinced me that I had a boyfriend, but I never actually met the boyfriend.  We went together for a couple months.  Somehow I just believed that this guy I never met liked me and was mine even though I never saw him, spoke with him or received a letter from him.

9.  See #6 again but apply it to #8.

10. I thought I wanted to be an ob/gyn until I had my first biology lab, then decided I couldn't survive endless years of lab work.  Too tedious.

11.  When I was 19, I traveled to England/Ireland and Wales.  During that 10-week trip, I sent a Dear John letter to my boyfriend at home and got engaged (ring and all) to a guy on the trip whom I'd had English classes with.  The engagement lasted 4 weeks, but he didn't officially break my heart until we were stateside again.

12. Two weeks after I turned 21, I was kicked out of Cardinal Stadium during the St. X/Trinity game for public intoxication.  I was hungover for 5 days.

13. Since that time, I have never had hard liquor straight.  No vodka, no whiskey, no rum, no tequila.

14. I tried smoking in college, but it made me edgy.  And, lord knows, I am edgy enough without adding to it artificially.

15. I have smoked pot once in my life.  On that England trip in college.

16. When I was a kid, I used to bite my nails.  I also got repeated strep throat infections.  My pediatrician told me biting my nails might be causing me to get the strep.  I never bit my nails again.  (Now I just pick at them.)

17. I drink about 3 glasses of skim milk a day.

18. I got my ears pierced when I was in 4th grade.  As an adult, I developed an allergy to various metals and haven't been able to wear posts in years.

19. I would have gotten a tattoo in college or shortly thereafter but my skin is so sensitive, I figured I'd have complications.

20. I thought about going into the Peace Corps after college but was scared of all the diseases I might pick up in Africa.  And I didn't know how I'd live without my allergy medications.

21.  Part of my OCD is hypochondria.  Surprised?

22. I have a lopsided uterus which explains why all 3 of my kids have had torticollis as infants (yep, M has it too).

23.  One of my favorite lunches to eat at home is Campbell's tomato soup and a tuna sandwich.

24. I love falsetto singers.

25. If I had any desire to change my name, I would name myself Eleanor.

No comments: