Adsense

Monday, December 21, 2009

Goals for the new year

I saw my friend KL's Facebook update about what she wants to accomplish in 2010, which got me thinking about what I'd like to accomplish in the coming year.  It is a probably a little sick and definitely geeky how much I enjoy goal-setting.

So without further ado, here are some of my "goals" for 2010:

1. Save $10,000 in M's 529 plan.  We have put this amount in the other kids' 529 plans within their first year, so we want to do the same for him.  

2. Save enough money to get new flooring on the main level of our home.  I've got some saved, and I'm gonna have people give me some estimates of how much it will cost.  This will likely be something that gets done closer to the start of 2011.  I saw some shirts on sale for $5 at Old Navy, but I am trying to remind myself of all of "big"wants I have for the coming year and putting the kibosh on spending for "little" wants.  

3. Purchase a new mattress.  Our mattress is almost 12 years old and has nice little permanent indentations of mine and D's bodies.  That puppy needs to go.  

(I feel a little shitty now that I see in print all of my materialistic desires.  I foresee having to tell myself repeatedly that I am allowed to get some new stuff and am not being careless since we aren't going into debt to do anything.)

4. Wean M.  I don't have a timeframe in mind.  I'd prefer a year, but we'll just see what happens.  I have to wean him before I can begin my next goal in earnest.

5. Lose all pregnancy weight and get firm.  I cannot stand exercising while nursing because the slightest little jolt gets my milk a'flowin.  So once I wean M and am getting ample rest....because I hope to heck he is sleeping at least 8 hour stretches by then....I want to get myself in shape.  I never had time to get myself in shape after G because a month after I weaned him I was pregnant again.  And it was winter.  I need the nice weather and sunshine of spring to get motivated.

6.  Take some small day trips next summer.  We don't go on a big vacation, like to the beach, every year.  N wants to go to Mammoth Cave, and we think G would enjoy a Day with Thomas.  We've talked about Kings Island as well.  

Geez, that seems like a whole lot of stuff to do.  I feel quite certain #5 will be the one that is hardest for me to accomplish.  Mostly because of time or the lack thereof.  And some of these things are to some extent out of my control.  Because if D loses his job (heaven forbid), then obviously 1-3 are postponed indefinitely.  

I'm glad I've got 10 more days before I have to start really thinking about this stuff.


1 comment:

Giselle said...

You should totally go to Kentucky Down Under...we went when we lived in town. It is a completely random and totally awesome place for kids. Totally tame kangaroos that you can hand feed and pet, lots of other Aussie animals and a really cool cave to walk through. And it is only 90 minutes or so from the ville.