Adsense

Saturday, January 30, 2010

When did I move to Infanticide Town???

I don't know what the fuck is going on around here, but some people have gone and lost their ever-loving minds.  

Within the past 3 weeks, the news has been littered with reports of infant abuse and infanticide.  A 4-month-old died after being thrown against a couch and shaken, and a 6-week-old was killed by his father (who killed another infant son of his some twenty years ago).  Two days ago, an 8-month-old baby drowned after his mother left him in the tub to go fix him some food.  And another baby was thrown 3 feet onto the floor by his mother but didn't die.  

I'd say god needs to reevaluate whom on this planet has to deal with infertility.

Having a baby is stressful, no doubt about it.  There were plenty of times when I was nursing M in those early weeks, when my raw nipples were nearly detaching from my body and he would swat at them with his flailing baby hands, that I felt the urge to launch him across the room because the pain was so intense.  

But I didn't.  

And I have felt like beating the hell out of my kindergartener when she mouths off at me in that sassy way of hers.  

But I don't.

I can totally understand the urge to harm a child because babies and children have the innate ability to drive a person to the brink of sanity.  And the fact that I understand this is one of the main reasons I do not spank my children---it is just too easy for it to go too far. 

After hearing these reports, it makes me think about abortion.  I don't think abortion is right, and I would never make the choice to have an abortion.  But I sure as heck wish these babies had been aborted at 8 weeks gestation than to suffer an incredibly painful death at the hands of people who are supposed to love and protect them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Carrie,

Hi, I’m a new blogger and my site's address is www.overcominganxietydisorder.com

Your site is very related to mine. I thought it would be beneficial for both of us to do a blogroll link exchange.

Please let me know if you’re interested.
email: glgreenlake AT gmail DOT com

Thanks.

Victor.