Adsense

Saturday, January 2, 2010

The drudgery of a new year

So D may have caught N's strep throat.  Starting off the new year on the exact wrong foot but who is surprised?  I'm not happy about it, but I am certainly used to this whole sickness thang at this point.

Still, I am really feeling the January blues.  The drudgery that comes with this month is what, in the past, has made me eager to plan a vacation.  Have something in the works.  Something to look forward to.  Post-holidays are such a letdown.  Being in the house with the kids due to the cold weather (usually) and now RSV is tedious.  Today I had to go to Target for an hour.  Had. to.  Just to get away from them and the house.

Since we aren't doing a big vacation this year that means I need to find something to occupy my head while me and the kids wait out the cold weather until March.

I had a guy from a flooring place come out this past week to give me an estimate of installing hardwood on the main level of our home.  There is pre-finished hardwood in the foyer, hallway and powder room.  We want to extend it into the kitchen, dining room and family room.  I have no idea how much this is gonna cost but I'm hoping in the $3,000 range, although I am fairly certain I'm low-balling it.

With all the sickness, the DVDs I had purchased to get us through the winter only got us through Christmas break, so I ordered some more--the two Toy Story movies and Finding Nemo.  And I reorganized our Netflix queue.


And I have begun collecting baby clothing, maternity clothing and toys the kids never play with for the upcoming Spring/Summer consignment sales.

My anxiety upon getting so much new stuff at Christmas has me feeling antsy to purge kid items, which makes me sad.  I really don't want to rush this time away, but the clutter is sometimes more than I can stand.

And the clutter isn't just toys or clothes.  It is the clutter of children jabbering, needing me, wanting something from me at all hours.  It is because of the cold.  And the break from school.  And the sickness.  Sometimes I think the drudgery is because I have lost the essence of myself.  I know I am there, but there is just a mountain of stuff to get through before I can get to me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, where did you find the original Toy Story DVD? I have been looking everywhere for that damn movie and can not find it anywhere!

CARRIE said...

I got it from half.com. Cheaper there than Amazon.com.

Momisodes said...

I'm so sorry to hear that sickness ensues in your house. I can hardly wait until some of this snow melts. I'm hoping the cabin fever goes with it.

As for the stress of new things occupying the house from Christmas, I feel the SAME way! The week before and after Christmas I filled the Craigslist boards with toys and items to sell we no longer use. I feel like for every new thing coming in, I need to purge something old.