Adsense

Friday, January 22, 2010

Gimme Whipper

I discourage my children from getting the gimmes.  My refrain is, "You can ask for x, y or z for your birthday or Christmas."  Those are the times when you get stuff.

Lord knows, my kids don't do without.  They have clothes, and they can always finagle books out of me.  But I don't buy them toys or other things with any regularity.

Whipping the gimmes out of myself is also something I've done for years and years.  And I'm so good at it that when I do decide that I really, really, really want something.....like new flooring on my main floor of the house....it is like a constant battle in my head.

The Gimme Whipper has plenty of ammo to discourage me from getting the floor.  The earthquake in Haiti is a constant reminder of how wasteful it is to get new flooring when so many people have nothing, absolutely nothing.

The Gimme Whipper also uses possible health care scenarios as fear tactics to make me reconsider flooring.  Like if M has to have tubes put in later this year (since at 3-months-old he is on his 2nd ear infection).  It would be more prudent to hang onto the money for surgery expenses than a new floor.

But I really want new flooring.  And I keep telling the GW that I'm not going into debt so I'm not being irresponsible.  And that getting rid of the carpet might actually help our allergies (since G and M are likely going to have problems with allergies as well, if they don't already).  And that I'm being very diligent about trying to really save so that I won't deplete every penny in our account to get new flooring.

Gimme Whipper doesn't care.  He just keeps beating and beating the desire right outta me.

1 comment:

Keri said...

Oh, Carrie. How I wish I could come over to your house and beat that Gimme Whipper to a pulp so that you could enjoy your life more!

PLEASE get those floors. If you need another argument to use against the GW, remember that the nicer floors will increase the value and desirability of your home should you ever decide to sell.