Adsense

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Smug

I hope other people don't realize this about me, but I am so completely smug. Or at least I have moments of complete smugness.

The other day after trying on new pants and being able to fit into my old before pregnancy size, I was feeling really jazzed that I've lost alot of my weight as a result of breastfeeding. This thought led to thinking about how so many of the new moms I have been meeting don't breastfeed at all or breastfeed for like, 20 minutes and then quit, which really surprises me especially when they are SAHMs. This thought led to thinking about how many of these same moms are going to the gym to work off their pregnancy weight. This thought led to thinking about how many women don't like the hassle of breastfeeding but are ok with the hassle of working out at the gym. I prefer to lose weight while sitting on the couch, reading a magazine and having it sucked out of me, thank you. This thought led to thinking the self-satisfied notion that in addition to giving my baby the absolute best nutrition there is, I am looking pretty ok physically without having to break a sweat (of course, there ain't a toned muscle in my whole body).

There ya go. Carrie V. has it all figured out and is on top of her game! Whooahh! Isn't she so fucking remarkable!

On the one hand, I hate it when I feel smug, but then again, I do think breast is best. And I do think there is something really admirable about women who put up with the pain and hassle of breastfeeding because it is what is good for their baby, even if it is a kind of a pain in the butt early on for them. Of course, I have a high "put up with shit" threshold, at least as it concerns my children. I told D we would put the house up for sale and move before I go back to work because I don't want my kids in daycare. It's like a Seinfeld episode in my head: "Not that there's anything wrong with that"-- using formula or having children in daycare. But there is something wrong with that for me, and I guess that is all that matters.

I guess I just need to accept my inner smug.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't just accept your inner smug - embrace it.

After breastfeeding Grace for 14 months I was smaller than I had been since high school. I too couldn't help feeling a little smug about my weight loss. I also usually share this with pregnant moms as an incentive to try breastfeeding.

Susan