Adsense

Monday, January 28, 2008

Foibles

It is a good thing I don't really believe in heaven because chances are pretty slim I would ever manage to get there anyway. My life is sometimes a constant series of me saying, thinking and /or doing things that either piss people off, hurt people's feelings or just aggravate the hell outta me.

Example 1: I did hurt feelings when I explained about N being upset about her playdate friend, and even though I don't question my decision I do regret hurting someone. She loves her daughter just as fiercely as I love mine and is equally protective. I always feel badly when something I say makes someone else feel hurt or wronged.

Example 2: Yep, the whole N playdate thing again. N is 3. Yes, nearly 4, but still 3, and so still a baby to me. Was I too much of a butt-in-ski? Should I have just let N work it out, whatever she was/is feeling, on her own? My heart says no because N is generally a sensitive kid and doesn't fully understand her feelings and if she is saying stuff I need to take it seriously, but my head wonders if I just let "mama bear" run spastic.

But what is done is done, and I have probably angered this other mom to the point where she will duck her head whenever she sees me coming.

That is one of the harder things about this being a mom business. My adult friendships of the moment are tied to N's friendships of the moment because moms with preschoolers are the only adults I see. So if N's friendships sour, in all likelihood, my friendships will sour as well, at least to some extent. Or vice versa--if my friendship with a mom sours, N's friendship will take a hit too.

Hell, it is hard enough to maintain friendships when you don't have to take into account your preschooler's emotional and social health/development and the ferocious mama bear who lives in all of us.

1 comment:

Giselle said...

Ugh. This is hard. My FAVORITE mom here in PA has an absolute BRAT of a kid...whom Andrew hates. It is such a battle every time we try to get together, because our kids are at each other's throats. But then, I don't hurt her feelings, because it is quite obvious our children are like oil and water. Sadly for her, her daughter is like that with all children.

Anyhoo, back to you...this is your blog, right?...I think you were right in what you did. Mostly because this little girl is so much older than N. There is a time that you have to let them fight their own battles, but if that battle is stacked WAY against them...time for that Mama Bear to step in. In my opinion. ;)