Adsense

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Not very sympathetic

It is true, I am not a sympathetic person, especially when it comes to my husband and his health issues, which boil down to having sinus/allergy issues and having had a vasectomy on Friday.  He is, in general, a pretty healthy guy.

A friend jokingly remarked on my apparent lack of sympathy, which has had me thinking (in a good way, K) about why I am this way.

I think a couple of things play into this---

First, my husband's mother, whom I really have a good relationship with and is a wonderful person, is a bend-over-backwards-for-her-kids kind of lady, which is very different from how my mother was.  My mother was of the "you get your own stuff because I'm not your maid" school.

In some respects, to keep peace in my marriage, I have behaved somewhat similarly to my MIL, doing perhaps more than I would prefer.  Some of this is because I am a stay-at-home mom and so feel I "should" shoulder more home-related work.  Some of this is because my husband got used to his mom doing a lot for him and has a passive-aggressive streak which drives me bonkers (and he knows this--I'm not spilling any deep, dark secrets here). Part of it is that I am of the "do-it-myself" variety--if I want something done, I usually want it done immediately and so I just do it.  (I am often my own worst enemy.)

Secondly, as someone who has had health-related anxiety as long as I can remember, there is a "Calling Wolf" element that comes into play when people give you too much sympathy.  If you whine and moan about every little sniffle or, in my case imagined tumor, people eventually stop listening to you at all.  They don't take you seriously.  I know my mother and D never took me seriously when I'd ask, "Do you think I have cancer?"  or "Does this look like cancer?"

And thirdly, and this is not something of which I am proud, I compare the other person's experience to what I have experienced.

As someone who had numerous ENT (3 sets of tubes, adenoids removed and eardrum repair) surgeries before age 10 as well as had allergy tests and took allergy shots my entire childhood and now continue shots as an adult, I cannot muster up sympathy for sinus problems.

Plus, it has only been in the past 3 years that D sought an allergist's help for his issues, which means I listened to sinus-related complaints for nearly 10 years before he did anything about it.  Now that he regularly gets shots, takes allergy medicine and religiously uses his nose-spray, he feels better.
So part of my theory on whether to give someone sympathy is whether or not the person has done something to try to remedy the problem themselves.  If they have a problem yet do absolutely nothing about it, I am not sympathetic.

In 2003, when I was about 11 weeks pregnant with N, D had what we believe was an anxiety-attack, though at the time we thought it might be his heart.  I was terrified, and I think I was very sympathic.  This was, of course, before I became a mother and understood not only the rigors of pregnancy and childbirth, but also the truth that mothers are mothers even when we're sick.  I haven't had a sick-day in over 6 years, although I have been sick numerous times.

I think if D developed a serious health condition--diabetes, MS or cancer--I would be sympathetic to him.  But allergies?  A vasectomy?  In the grand scheme of things, these are minor.  And especially in light of the fact that I tended to children by myself 10 days after having major abdominal surgery.  (Not that D didn't help; he did, but I was solo for most of the day about 10 days postpartum).

I think and hope that when D has most needed me I have been sympathetic and supportive.  Like when his dad died in 2004.

1 comment:

Keri said...

Well, at least you assured me that it made you think in a good way. I really don't mean to make you paranoid, but I figure if you write openly about everything that's on your mind, then you're probably open to all types of comments and questions. Especially when they come from someone who you (hopefully) trust is not out to hurt your feelings!

In the interest of candor, I will admit that I've always had a hard time when you write about how you don't have sympathy for D because you've endured much more pain and/or discomfort. I get where you're coming from (and have had similar fleeting feelings towards my own husband), but it really kind of defies logic, don't you think? To not give sympathy to someone just because you are suffering too, or have suffered more?

Plus, if that's the way it works, then I better not complain about my nasty stomach virus to my friend who has been through chemotherapy, or complain of an incredibly itchy case of poison ivy to someone who has suffered with severe eczema his whole life. If I did, then they'd be fully justified in pooh-poohing my complaints, even though my own suffering would be very real to me. I'm truly not trying to be argumentative here, I'm just taking your logic to it's...um, logical...conclusion.

Actually, it kind of should work the other way, wouldn't you think? Someone who has had terrible eczema should be extra sympathetic to me because he can fully relate to my poison ivy itching, and the same with the chemotherapy. I guess this kind of goes along with my own blog post about how people with more kids, or older kids, minimize my feelings when I express the difficulties I'm going through. As if just because they've "suffered more," my problems don't count.

But maybe you shouldn't listen to me. I've always been extraordinarily needy of sympathy when I'm sick, beginning when I was a child. My mom can attest to that - you should ask her sometime! Maybe that's why I cringe, on D's behalf, when you withhold your sympathy from him. Hey, next time he's sick or recovering from surgery, I should send him a Get Well card - from one wuss to another! :-)