Adsense

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Trying to find my mom skills

There are some things I am simply not good at as a mom.  Playing "pretend" is one of them.  I am increasingly closer to 40 years old, so trying to imbue Polly Pockets with heady conversation is not a priority or a skill.  I don't think I ever had a great imagination, even as a kid, and it has only gotten crappier the older I've gotten.

But there are some things I know I am really good at as a mom, and one of those is finding fun experiences.  Opening the kids' senses up a little bit.

Every kid needs a pair of rain boots for ginormous puddles.  
And a parent who will take them out to play in them.


And then there is doing what I can to encourage their interests.  I like the "mile deep, inch wide" philosophy, whereby I try to immerse them in whatever it is they find interesting.  Finding books at the library.  Visiting exhibits.  Borrowing DVDs.  Allowing them to like whatever it is they like without judgment or censorship.

Finally there is just being here with them.  Being home every day for them.  Even though D makes a good salary, and we have made choices so that I can stay at home, it is still somewhat of a sacrifice for me.  In terms of career.  In terms of my personal financial security.  In terms of my mental health (because any mom who works will tell you it is a nice break to be around other adults for 8+ hours a day.  And to be able to pee without an audience).

No comments: