Adsense

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Momma-size hissy fit

Anyone want to guess what time it is?  Yep.  2:00 a.m.
Anyone want to guess how many times I've been up with children since going to bed a little before 11:00 p.m.?  3  (Twice with M; once with N)

I keep thinking about the movie Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, specifically the scene where Vivi is helping one of her children who is vomiting.  And within 30 seconds, all 4 of her kids are yakking all over her and the bathroom.  Not too long after this, the scene cuts to her sitting catatonic in the kitchen, all doped up on nerve-pills.

I am so feeling Vivi Walker this week.  Oh hell, I've been feeling Vivi Walker since April 19th, when I had the first of 2 stomach bugs.  Since that date, in addition to me being ill, M has had a virus, G has had a virus, and N has had strep throat AND a virus.  Oh, and M has cut his top 2 teeth AND been working on flipping himself from his tummy to his back while sleeping.  That's a lot of sleep interruption on top of normal nursing-during-the-night sleep interruption.  That's a lot of contending with sicky-poos in 6 weeks' time.

It feels like October-December 2009 Redux.  And that sucked ass.

So I'm all full of the hissies which is making it hard to settle back down into sweet slumber.

I'm going to bitch, get some things off my chest because I'm the momma, and goddammit, I need to vent.  Often.
Especially when my weeks have been a nonstop sickfest.

Bitch #1:
Yesterday, I took N to the doctor.  Of course, her temperature was 97 degrees in the office (and now is 100.6 so another day home from school today, apparently).  I took M with us, but asked D to come home and watch G.

Because 12 days ago, when I had to take all 3 of them to the doctor with me when N had strep throat (and D was at his aunt's funeral) it was all I could do to keep G from destroying the office.  He was banging on shit, trying to type at the doctor's laptop, jumping onto and off of the scale, trying to climb onto the exam table.  I was holding M, attempting to keep him entertained, and trying to explain to the doctor what N's symptoms were/listen to what the doctor said.

I really didn't like asking D to come home from work, mostly because I know he feels put-out having to interrupt his workday.  I know this from the look on his face.  From the fact that he asked, "Can't you take a toy for him?"  From the fact that he has made occasional comments about me not being able to "handle" 3 kids whenever I've said anything about the challenge of taking all 3 of them anywhere.

And so I felt guilty.
But then I reminded myself that D has never taken all 3 of the kids anywhere.  Ever.  And he has only taken the 2 older ones to his mom's house, where he has his mom to help him.
And so then I felt guilty and pissed off.

Bitch #2:
I know I'm the mom, and I've dealt with gross stuff since conceiving my children.  From morning sickness dry-heaving to having my girly parts look like chopped meat from delivering to squeezing puss out of my c-section incision.  But it still irks the shit out of me to have my child cough directly into my face.

Bitch #3:
I am glad M is finally, FINALLY starting to attempt flipping himself from his tummy to his back because, for crying out loud, he is almost 8 months old.  But why do babies insist on trying to practice milestones when they are asleep????  Why aren't the daytime hours sufficient?  Why must they interrupt mom's sleep to eat AND attempt developmental feats?
(Note:  For those of you who think, "Carrie, you dumbass, go back to bed, I will have you know I just had to go up and help M settle back down.  So even if I had been able to fall back asleep after N woke me up, I would have slept for a mighty 20 minutes before being awakened again.)

I feel only slightly better having gotten some of my frustration out on my blog.  I'd like to think tomorrow....oh, I mean later today will be better, but I'm none too hopeful.  Because with N's fever up again, it means she will be home.  Feeling good enough to be bored out of her gourd, but feverish enough to warrant staying home.  And I'll have to drag all 3 kids to my psychiatrist appointment.....where I'll mention my anxiety of late.

Hmmmm, can't imagine what could be making me feel anxious and all out of sorts.

4 comments:

Giselle said...

So sorry. 3 kids IS too much to handle. Which is why I can't WAIT for Andrew to go to school full time next year so I don't have to drag all 3 everywhere, all the time.

Everyone always bugs me about why I don't go to the doctor when I'm sick, or why I don't go get my eyes checked if I'm having a hard time seeing, or why I didn't get a flu shot...and the reason is BECAUSE I HAVE TO DRAG 3 FRIGGIN' KIDS WITH ME EVERYWHERE. I would rather not see than take this crew into an optomo...optomi...optoma...eye doctor's office.

PLUS, you aren't sleeping? Ugh. Close the shades and hide for a week. ;)

I hope it gets better soon...

Anonymous said...

I'm so understanding of how you feel. I feel the same way 100% of the time. Wish we didn't live so far from eachother... I'd come over and help you out (or add to it... lol) but we'd have each other. lol so keep your head up... this stage too shall pass. I promise and then we will be looking back and laughing at this days... and releived that we survived... which I know you will because you are a STRONG woman!

Muser Grace said...

You ARE having a Vivi Walker week. So sorry! It sounds awful.

And 3 kids is a ton to deal with. Seriously. I can't believe your husband acted put-out about needing to take some time off work to help out. Come on! You deserve some help. And some sleep! Tell that boy of yours to take a night shift one of these evenings so you can get some rest. Whatever his job is, it's no more important than your job of taking care of kids, and you need your sleep to do a good job of that just as much as he needs his sleep to do a good job at his work. Eesh.

I'd be having a super-sized hissy fit if I were in your shoes!

Stephanie Weinstein said...

Nothing pissed me off more when my children were young (and still pisses me off--when I read stuff like this!) than my husband or someone else's husband who thought they were "babysitting" their own children--that it wasn't part of their parenting role to take care of their own children. Guess some men are only good for conceiving, nothing more.