Adsense

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Good god, the rage

This afternoon and evening would have won me the "Mom most likely to have CPS called on her" award. God, it was terrible.  I was terrible.

This has been a pretty rotten week.  M ran a high, high fever on Monday, Tuesday and part of Wednesday.  He was lethargic and didn't want to eat his solid food, so I had increased his nursings.  And he wasn't sleeping or if he did sleep, it was on me or only with me.

So in addition to my hormones being all over the map (due to introducing solid food 3 weeks ago and now increasing breastfeeding again due to M's illness), I have been sleeping poorly due to my extra bed partner.  And G has been waking up repeatedly during the night and won't settle down until he's seen me.  Sometimes I wish I wasn't so in demand by the young men in my life.

Hormones a mess and having a negative impact on my mood--check.
Lack of sleep and its negative impact on my mood--check.
Stress of sick child--check.
Inability to have 2 minutes to myself all week--check.

When N came home from school, she hadn't eaten any of the carrots I'd packed for her lunch, any of the Fig Newtons I'd packed and only some of the pretzels.  And, of course, she was complaining about being hungry.  So I told her she had to eat her carrots, at the very least, before she got something else.  And so this led to what I call "The Badgering," the incessant asking for whatever it is I've just told her she can't have.  "Can I have a yogurt?"  "Can I have a yogurt?"  "Can I have a yogurt?"

All the while, I'm trying to get M to eat some solid food and G to eat his snack before it got too close to dinner.

After eating her pretzels, 3 of her 4 carrots, a yogurt and some Fiber One cereal, she asked for a slice of cheese, and I just simply lost it.  Why?  Who knows?  Because of the aforementioned stressors of the week?  Because every single day she does this snacking frenzy, as if she hasn't eaten in 6 weeks, and I am constantly running back and forth to the fridge or pantry to get her something to eat?

So blow-up #1, and I feel terrible about it.

I thought it would do us all some good to go for a family walk together after supper.  D suggested he pull N and G in the wagon.  But G wanted to push the Little Tykes Coupe and threw a fit when we told him no.  When he finally decided he was ok with the wagon, he fell and scraped his knee, so I went into the house to fetch my bandage bag.  When I returned 2 minutes later, he and N are out of the wagon and he's trying to pull it.  Knowing that this will mean a snails' pace walk, we told him he could ride but not pull the wagon.  Fit #2 ensued.

I picked him up and starting carrying him thinking that some distance and distraction would settle him down, while D pushed M in the stroller.  N was complaining that she wanted to take the wagon because her legs were tired (this from the girl who minutes before had asked if she could play in the backyard after our walk).  I told her she could forget playing outside after the walk if she was so tired she had to sit in the wagon (which she's too big for anyway).

By this point, I am carrying a screaming, crying G and walking next to N, who is being mouthy and complainy about having to take a walk.

And that's when I lost it.  COMPLETELY.

I grabbed both of them, hauled their asses back to the house and put them to bed.  All the while, remarking that I do plenty of stuff they want to do, but they can't even take a walk around the neighborhood without complaining.  When it's something momma wants to do, we've all got to chime in about how sucky it is.

I go to McDonald's, and birthday parties and Chuck E. Cheese for them.  I watch High School Musical and the Wiggles 3 trillion times because it is what they want to watch.  I spend the end of every visit to Target with a tour of the toy department for them.  I don't want to do it, but I do.  And without complaint.  Yes, I am the grown-up, but I sure as hell get tired of sucking it up when no one else does.

I was absolutely enraged, and I probably scared G to death because he is not used to this.  N gets tongue lashings on a fairly regular basis because she is at the stage where she has an opinion on everything but hasn't learned the art of keeping it to herself.

And even when I was full of rage, ready to knock both of their heads together, I felt so, so guilty and awful for feeling so blasted angry at them.  It was my night to read to them, so I was able to calm down, apologize and snuggle with them in bed, but it did little to ease my feelings of guilt and shame at behaving so atrociously.

In the morning, the kids will be fine.  Over it.  Ancient history.  But I'll be suffering for awhile to come.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have I ever mentioned that I connect to you so much! The same thing happened at our house last night...our 3 year old is sick (sinuses and congestion)...I decided to go to wal mart to get mucinex mini melts instead of the liquid he didn't like earlier in the day and I brought him a new toy for his sand table that I told him he could have AFTER he took his medicine...well needless to say the mini melts ended up all over his shirt and I lost it...he was begging for the toy and I said no and explained to him why he couldn't have it right that very minute...2 windows were open in the house the whole time he was screaming and having his fit...so I was expecting DFS at my door today...luckily no visitors :)
I bet he screamed "mommy I want it" 2000 times and I repeatedly said no..most of the time louder than I should have but I was trying to get his attention and get thru to him...which didn't work by the way!....so I go outside to get away for 2 minutes and come back in and he his dad finally managed to somewhat get him calmed down...it was a night from hell..that is for sure

and all last night and still now I am beating myself up for how I handled it....I know parents yell at their kids all the time (jeez we seen some lady up and SMACK her kid in the head at Wal Mart last weekend) but all I can think is how horrible of a mother I am and I suck and I am messing my kid and am going to make him the next Jeffrey Dahlmer or something...my husband who also yelled last night just says it's over he won't even remember it forget about it....oh if only it were that easy....i blame the anxiety...has to be the anxiety that constantly makes me feel like a failure...

Keri said...

I know there's likely nothing I can say to change your feelings of guilt and remorse. And obviously, a small bit of remorse is probably a good thing, to prevent you from making "losing it" a regular habit.

But may I suggest that it's okay for your kids to know that you have feelings? Especially N, who is old enough to learn about making sacrifices for others - especially for the mother who has made so many sacrifices for her. And if she/they don't understand that fact simply based on you telling them in a reasonable voice, well then, maybe a little yelling and shouting is what it will take. Maybe this will make an impression on them in a positive way. Not like, "Yay! I'm glad Mom yelled at us!" but a "Hey...I remember that time that Mom got really upset. She really DOES have feelings that matter. I think I'll be nicer this time to show her that I love her."

Okay, maybe that's a little advanced for G, and maybe even N wouldn't have those EXACT thoughts. But for N, the general idea could be there, and maybe seeing you "lose it" could be just what she needs to bring home the point that you do have desires and needs of your own.

You didn't harm them for life, and they know you still love them. Be easy on yourself and hope that your outburst has a positive effect.

Muser Grace said...

I love you for being so honest--and for recognizing your flaws and apologizing to your kids and reconnecting. I think this--among other things--is exactly what makes you a good mama!