Adsense

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Papaw Chester

All of my grandparents were deceased by the time I was 18.  My mother's dad died when she was only 6 months old, and my dad's dad died when I was around 3 years old.

I did know both of my grandmothers, but by the time I was getting old enough to really appreciate them being in my life, they passed.

D is fortunate that his grandpa, his mom's dad, is still living.  Papaw Chester is a spry 85 years young.


Pictures below:  Papaw with his first great-grandson, G





He cooks the family (and by this I mean at least 8-9 of us) dinner once a month, and when Papaw cooks, he goes all out.  He'll fry fish and chicken, as well as have corned beef or meatloaf.  And there then are the side dishes:  mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, macaroni & cheese, slaw, a green of some kind, biscuits, cornbread.  And 2 desserts to boot.

Papaw and N planted carrots together in the garden last year.  



In addition to the monthly family meal, we see Papaw every Sunday over at D's mom's.  We go for breakfast or dinner, and Papaw comes to spend time with the great-grandkids.  Papaw is nuts about his great-grandsons.  He adores all his great-grandkids, but for him there is just something special about the boys.  He can't wait to get his hands on M.  This past Sunday, M fell asleep in Papaw's arms for well over an hour.  I don't think the grin left Papaw's face the entire time.

Pictures below:  Papaw with his 2nd great-grandson, M.






I love it that my kids get to see their great-grandpa on a regular basis.  Papaw weights the family--gives us balance, depth.  He is the roots of the great tree.  It is a profound thing of beauty to see young children with the oldest and dearest of a family.


Watching Papaw enjoy his family gives me a sense of peace, a deep feeling of joy.  I learn so much from seeing him take everything in.  None of us knows when our time will end, but older people know that there time really is increasingly limited.  They are so much better than the rest of us at savoring the small moments, the ones they love.

Pictures below:  Papaw with his first great-grandchild, N. 





I try to get generation pictures of D, the kids, D's mom and Papaw every so often.  Four generations together.  It is a beautiful thing.


I always say that part of the reason I married D is because he doesn't like sports.  Now, going on 13 years in his family, I'd have to say part of the reason I stay is Papaw Chester.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!
Susan

Keri said...

So very, very sweet! I love that you took the time to include so many pictures.

And hey, how can I wrangle an invitation to one of his home-cooked meals? ;-)