Adsense

Friday, April 2, 2010

The spousal scapegoat

Even with his dumb-ass-ness, I have been thinking lately how glad I am to have D as my husband because he is a wonderful scapegoat for me. Especially as it concerns religion.

D wasn't raised in any religion, and I was raised Catholic.  He only rarely attended a church with his mom, and I attended mass every week of my childhood.  (Every.stinking.week. and sometimes more than once if there was a Holy Day of Obligation.)

Over the years I have sometimes found myself, when asked why our family doesn't practice a religion, saying, "Well my husband wasn't brought up in any religion so I'd have to take the kids myself blah, blah, blah," as if it is D's fault that I, or we, don't attend church.

But the truth is, I don't want to practice any religion.  And I'm glad D is the way he is and doesn't expect me to be religious or attend services or attend Bible studies.   Because I would feel stifled.  And angry.  And that wouldn't be good for our marriage.

So even though he buys the wrong lawnmower and opens the dishwasher at all the wrong times, I don't have to do things I don't want to do, believe in things I don't want to believe in, just to keep peace.

1 comment:

Hermia Commutes said...

I use my husband for that very same reason. I plan to use his non-baptizedness as part of the reason my children will not be baptized. I don't have faith in that way, I won't have faith in that way, and it's nice to hide behind a big old scapegoat spouse!