Adsense

Friday, February 5, 2010

The year-long "discussion"

My husband and I have been having a discussion for a year now.  It began a few moments after we stopped crying a year ago when I found out I was pregnant.

This morning another iteration of this discussion occurred.  It went something like this:

Me:  "D, can you move M's crib into my closet this weekend."
(For the last 2 nights, M has slept like utter shit.  Like up at least 5-6 times.  Probably as a result of cutting his two bottom teeth.  Please note my closet is fairly good-sized. Certainly large enough for a crib.  In addition to the teeth, I think I may be going to M when he's just making sleeping sounds, so I'd like for him to be a little further away from my bed.)

D:  "I don't think we ought to get new floors because you'll change your mind about buying another house."
(For the record, I have not said I am even considering wanting another house.  I am totally fine with G and M sharing a bedroom and staying in this house.  And even if we were to put this house up for sale, we'd have to get some kind of new flooring because our floors are crappy looking.  And on top of all that, D and I barely managed to go looking for a new mattress last weekend; how in the hell are we going to search for a new house.  Oh, and how the hell am I going to keep our house "show" worthy when I can only do the bare minimum now.  And finally, how the hell are we going to afford it when I am scraping loose change to try to pay for flooring?)

Me: "I don't want M to be all the way in another room because when I have to traipse to him multiple times a night that will wake me up completely."
(Also, I am not ready for them both to be in the same room because the last thing I want when nursing M in the middle of the night 5 times is to have G awake 5 times too.)

To be perfectly honest, I don't know where the conversation went from here.  I only remember the last two statements:

Me:  "Ok, so how about you start getting up with M?"

D: "I have to go down and get N's breakfast ready."  (Escapes to the kitchen)

I am becoming increasingly frustrated by this conversation for any number of reasons, which I will list below, not in order of importance or significance.

1. We refinanced this summer.  Dumb to move now.

2. We can't afford a significant mortgage increase.  So why bother for 1 extra bedroom?  (And technically, we have a bedroom in the basement with a closet and full bathroom, so once N is a teen, she can go down there.)

3. Well, I guess we could afford a mortgage increase, but that would mean no money for eating out, purchasing Xbox games, and going on vacations.  And I don't want to be house poor.

4. Our house is in the elementary school resides.  If we move, we chance having to switch schools.  And N's school is too fantabulous for us to fuck with moving.

5. We would have to spend a chunk of change to make "improvements" on our house, like new flooring anyway, repaint, etc.  Or we'd have to do it ourselves.  I can barely find time in the day to pee.  D still hasn't painted the spot in the basement that I had my cousin fix this past summer.  I asked that it be painted before M was born.  M will be 4 months old on Sunday.

6. We have 3 kids and toys taking up every inch of space in our house.  If D was being transferred and it was out of our control, I'd manage something to show the house to potential buyers.  But to willingly walk into that nightmare???  No thank you.

7.  The people behind us moved to Georgia last summer, and their house is still for sale.

8. The people behind us have had to lower and lower and lower their asking price.  I'm sorry, but I ain't giving my house away for nothing.

9. Before M was born I read the book, The Millionaire Next Door, and most people who have accumulated sizable wealth stay in the same house.  They don't keep moving on up, like the Jeffersons did.  They build equity, and they pay off their homes.  They don't carry a mortgage until they are 83 years old.  I would like to get this house paid off before N starts college.  So that we can pay for college.

I just can't see any rationale reason for moving.  I have quite enough on my plate right now without taking a big heaping spoonful of relocating.

From now on, when I see this "discussion" coming, I am going to refer my husband to this post.  Save myself some breath.

3 comments:

Momisodes said...

Moving really is a huge investment in time and emotions. It's a rough time to sell for sure. I hope things settle down for you soon.

Shelby said...

I totally agree with you. I read that book too and hubby and I are planning to stay put no matter how many kids we have! Right now the two smallest have their own rooms, which is great at night, and the two oldest share a bedroom in the basement. It works. Even if we have more kids they will just bunk with a sibling because I am also not going to "give" my house away. Good for you!

Keri said...

I simply cannot imagine getting a house ready to show - and keeping it ready - with 3 small kids. I know people do it all the time, and like you said, if it was necessary, you and I would do it, too. But I'm with you on this one for sure. Definitely a nightmare.