Adsense

Friday, February 5, 2010

Boy oh boy

When moms without sons ask me if it is a different experience from having a girl, I tend to roll my eyes and sigh wearily, "Oh my god, yes."   And to think I will have two little boys running underfoot in a year or so.

G is my imp and will likely be the death of me.  That is unless I die from fatigue as a result of the other boy in the house who keeps me awake all night with teething issues and general 4-month-old shitty sleeper stuff.  

When N was a toddler and would wake in the morning, I could bring her to my bed where we would snuggle, chat and doze a little longer.  When G wakes in the morning, and I bring him into my bed, it is Wrestlemania.  He's flipping, flopping, kicking, turning, hollering, and trying to tackle me.  There is no dozing going on.  

And then there's the constant throwing of toys.  Which is generally preceded by shrieks of frustration.  
There's also the chasing cats and pulling their tails.  Which is generally followed by hissing, and the cats running for their lives to the basement.  Their escape is followed by G trying to break down the basement door in an attempt to get to them.  

G is all energy---rough and tumble.  All boy.  

And I love that he is this way, except that it is exhausting.  On days like today where he is also cranky, it is all I can do not to body slam him into his bed and leave him their for hours.  

4 comments:

Giselle said...

I heart the pink snowpants. When it snows, Lily is all decked out in truck and superhero gloves/hats/boots. Those darned hand-me-downs ;)

J.R. (or Ernst Wolfgang) said...

It's funny how you mentioned the differences twixt boys and girls because our youngest, who is 7, is my "chore" on school mornings to get dressed, fed, and onto the bus.

He is most definitely a creature of habit and part of his routine is to jump into our bed just as Ell leaves to drop Erin at school on her way to work. Only rarely, VERY rarely, does the flying leap begin a snooze situation. As you stated, my "boy of boys" wants to rassle with his dad!

Since my back prevents so many physical activities, lying in bed and "rasslin' with my hands is something I can do and he most definitely LOVES TO DO! I can't describe to you how important it is to him that we involve in this behavior, something we call "Busterbobs" for reasons long ago forgotten.

Erin, who is now 14, is more "touchy"* now than she ever was in the past, has never been prone to rasslin' except with her little brother. Never with me. In fact, when she was 4-5-6, when she climbed into the bed with us, she usually wanted to talk or occasionally snooze.

I just thought it amazing how the Boy-Girl dynamic mimics our experiences to the letter. Cool, huh?

* Touchy involves "fist-bumps" and "finger-freeze" when we're in agreement, and occasional punches to my shoulders when she's in a playful mood, a mood MUCH preferred over the "teen sulk-MY LIFE SUCKS" shoulder droop we usually see. You'll see it soon enough . Just didn't want any misunderstandings.

Shelby said...

I love the pink snowpants! Noah will also be wearing his fair share of purple and pink because I refuse to waste money on more snowboots or other seasonal items when we have perfectly good hand-me-downs. Of course, now that I have a boy bringing up the rear I will start buying said items in gender neutral colors.

Keri said...

We've started seeing small differences with Jonah, but he's still a pretty mellow little guy. I wonder if it's just his personality (coming straight from his always-mellow dad), or if it's because he has two fairly calm (most of the time) big sisters that he's modeling himself after.

One of the biggest differences we've seen is how he LOVES being outside, and has since he was small. The baby sign for "outside" (turning hand as if turning doorknob) was the first sign he learned, and one of the few he still uses. Every time I pull in the garage and open his car door, he immediately signs "outside," and he cries if I tell him we can't go out. Which is quite often lately, given the weather.

It will be interesting to see if any more "boyish" behaviors develop as he gets older. As long as he's not excessively effeminate, I'll be fine with a less boyish boy. I'm not much on rowdiness and such. Although I do enjoy body function humor, which is why I'm glad that Jonah has started laughing when he toots.