Adsense

Saturday, February 13, 2010

The bedroom experiment, the crib that broke, and it's just Saturday

On Thursday night I had a potentially brilliant idea that came to me when I was nursing M to sleep and D read books to both N and G in her bedroom.  Once I got M to sleep, I figured I'd go get G and get him into his crib, but D had already put both kids to bed.

When I came downstairs I suggested we room N and G together for about 6 months or so, until August when N goes back to school for first grade and M is 10 months old (and will hopefully be in a routine and on a schedule.)

Originally I hadn't wanted to room N and G because I didn't want to disturb N's sleep since she has  school all day.  But a number of factors made me think rooming the two older kids might be a doable option right now.  First of all, they go to bed at the same time each night.  Secondly, they wake up at about the same time each day.  Third, G seems to all of a sudden be a little more mature.  He is talking in more complete sentences.  He is kinda over board books and is much more interested in reading 32 page picture books of Clifford, Curious George and Arthur, which makes reading to them simultaneously much easier and enjoyable.

Anyway, we told N we were gonna try to room her and G together and see what happened.  Two nights now without a bit of trouble getting them down to sleep.  N did tell us she got G out of his crib this morning and read him books in her bed, and then they both fell asleep in her bed, which I cannot prove since I was asleep, but which sounds highly adorable.

So we did all this with the intention of moving M into the smaller bedroom.  I have had sinus drainage and a cough this week, so I think I have been keeping him up with my cough as much as he has been keeping me up with his baby sleep noises and nursing requirements.  This afternoon D started taking down his crib in our room to move.

And then the crib broke.  Two plastic pieces that hold the sliding side up broke in half, rendering the entire bed unsafe and useless.  I called Pottery Barn Kids for replacement parts but have been getting the run-around.  Even if I hadn't, there is no way to get replacement parts TODAY, so D went out to buy a new crib at Wal-Mart.  The cheapest he could find.

The entire evening was spent putting the new crib together.  And then moving the glider into the nursery.  And then moving the boxes that held the new crib downstairs.  And then moving the PBK crib against the wall to wait to see if we can replacement parts.

It is now 8:52 pm, and I am starting my 2nd glass of wine, which explains any run-on sentences and jumbled stream of consciousness blogging.

In addition to all this, the kids and I went to a Valentine' Party this morning, and I hit the library to get books for N and G this afternoon.

Some ice cream and then my ass is in bed.

3 comments:

Tricia said...

Whew! I hope you at least got the ice cream!!!

Momisodes said...

Oy, I'm sorry to hear about the crib. Something about Murphy's Law...

I hope PBK will get you some replacement parts.

And that ice cream is so deserved, plus an extra scoop if possible.

Keri said...

I think N and G sharing a room is a great idea to try. It sounds like it would work, and they'll probably have lots of fun together. A great bonding experience for them.

Hope your sinus issues are clearing up.