Adsense

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Yeah, I don't think I'll teach elementary

For awhile I been considering getting certified to teach elementary-age students.  I am currently certified to teach grades 5-9, but I thought it might be a good idea to branch out to avoid boredom (assuming I ever get back into the classroom).

And so I purposely took my graduate classes (to renew my certificate) in elementary reading.  I really learned a lot in general about helping kids read...even middle schoolers...and was introduced to all sorts of literature that I could use in either an elementary or middle school classroom.

But lately I've been thinking that elementary is probably not for me.

Because my kindergartener drives me frackin' bonkers.
And I thought it was just her.
But after leading last night's Daisy Troop meeting, I think all 5- and 6-year-old girls would drive me bonkers.

In a recent blog, I complained about how N won't sit down at supper.  Or ever.  She is a constant ball of jumping around, saying "Mom, watch this,"  "Look at this,"  "Hey Mom, check this out."

And virtually all the other girls at the meeting were the exact same way.

My experience last night made me remember how I felt after helping out at N's Christmas party at school.  I think I blocked it out because I was so darn fatigued after the fact.  Those kindergarteners just yammered and didn't focus and got up and down and had ants in their drawers.

It makes the moodiness of middle schoolers seem like a walk on the beach.

Although I know I won't handle my own kids' middle school moodiness as easily as I handled my students, back in the day when I wasn't somebody's momma.

1 comment:

Keri said...

I helped at Bailey's V-day party yesterday. She only has 9 kids in her class, and their teacher said that they're usually a quiet bunch. They were just wound up yesterday because of the party.

But I still found myself saying to another mom, "If I was a kindergarten teacher, I'd need a morphine drip to deal with the headaches." I like my own kindergartner just fine, but as a teacher? I'll take middle-schoolers any day.