Adsense

Friday, February 19, 2010

To do, lists and no birthday goodie bags in my world

Never in a million years would I have dreamed my life would be this busy as a stay-at-home mom.  Most weeks my day-planner is chock full of activities.  

Next week, my schedule looks like this:

Monday--open
Tuesday--hosting baby shower for friend/playdate for G's little playgroup buddies.
Wednesday--visiting with friends (all of us had our babies within 3 weeks of each other).
Thursday--a.m. --taking G to the dentist. 
              --p.m. --taking N's birthday snack to school and then taking her to the       dentist.
Friday-- attending and volunteering at the Winter Festival at N's school.
Saturday--open
Sunday-- N's birthday party at My Gym.

And this is just with my oldest in school.  I can't imagine how busy things will be when all 3 of them are in school.  

It has gotten to the point where I have to make lists on top of my lists.  If I don't write it down, it don't get done.  I am nearly ready to start jotting down, "Take a piss" because I often forget and then wonder why it takes me 8 and a half minutes to empty my bladder.  

I have finally written down Toilet Seat in my dayplanner, with the hope that before the broken one completely falls off I will get around to nagging my husband to get a new one.  

This weekend, in preparation for N's birthday party, I have to buy water bottles, Rice Krispy treats for the allergic kids, and solid color dessert plates for the kids to eat on.

But one thing I will NOT be buying is shit for birthday goodie bags.  I HATE, HATE, HATE birthday goodie bags.  There are a number of reasons for this:

1. When a child invites N to his/her birthday, she is always excited to go.  We dig around in our Gift Box so she can pick out something she thinks the child will like. We wrap it, and she makes a card.  The joy of being invited is gift enough for N, so she doesn't need a physical gift from the birthday child.

2. I really don't want anymore plastic crap in my house.  No more tiny little containers of bubbles.  No more stickers or tattoos.  No more pencils or erasers.  No more plastic jewelry.  

3. N doesn't need any candy either, thank you.

Please, for the love of god, save your money and don't buy goodie bags.

At N's very first friend birthday party, when she was 4, I broke down and bought each child a fairly nice 89 cent Barbie cup as well as a Barbie hair scrunchie-type thing.  And the reason I purchased these particular items was because they are functional--a cup out of which to drink and something to put one's hair up.  They have a distinct function other than just cluttering up someone's house.

But I have decided I am not going to do gift bags.  I am breaking ranks and saying "Screw you Dollar Tree and Oriental Trading Company what-nots.  I'm not having it anymore."  

I am sure the world will take notice and shudder. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is useful to try everything in practise anyway and I like that here it's always possible to find something new. :)

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.

Keri said...

You know I'm right there with you on the goody bag issue. In fact, I've been crafting a post in my head about how my kids have too much "stuff" because "stuff" is so cheap these days and therefore is dispensed with abandon by everyone from teachers to friends to grandparents (even practical, thrifty ones like mine).

And I know what you mean about the calendar. As for lists, I'd love to be more of a list maker, but I always seem to lose my lists. I'm still in search of that elusive place to keep a list where I can easily refer to it without carrying it from place to place.

Muser Grace said...

Shudder indeed!

I found you through Postpartum Progress. When I was struggling with ppd and post-partum ptsd I tried to find some sort of online community for people blogging about those things. I couldn’t, and now that I’ve recovered, I’m hoping to create something like that for others who are currently struggling. So I’ve started listing blogs about PMDs and have featured yours. I am hoping to be able to do a weekly “round-up” featuring what bloggers are writing about ,and highlighting those who could use some “commenty” support. I’d love it if you’d stop by, check out the “round up,” and, if you have some time, visit some of the bloggers who could use some support. Thanks so much for your blog!