Adsense

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Ain't Miss Behavin'?

No. Miss ain't behavin.
Short version:  Tonight I had my oldest and dearest friend and her boyfriend over for dinner.  N acted like a complete ass.  End of story.

Long version:  Tonight I had my oldest and dearest friend and her boyfriend over for dinner.  As usual when anyone comes to our home who doesn't live here, my kids went a little ape-shit when K and D arrived----bouncing around, being noisy.  You'd think we'd never had a guest in our home.  N was particularly irritating, standing in between me and K so that I had to ask her repeatedly to sit back so I could see them to chat.

N asked if we could listen to her new Alvin & the Chipmunks cds, and I told her we could during dinner.  Quietly--as background music.  She got frustrated because the music was too low, and the adults kept talking (how dare we?).  She started shushing us.  So I got her the portable cd player and let her listen to the headset.  She was ok for awhile.

After we finished eating, N wanted to do a show, so I told her she could dance to one song for K and D and then we'd be moving back into the living room.  She selected "Single Ladies," and both she and G wrestled/danced to it.  As promised, the adults moved into the living room.

N stayed in the dining room sulking.  D talked to her.  I talked to her.  Eventually I had to haul her ass upstairs because she was taking a rude tone, saying things like, "Nobody's coming to watch my show."

Eventually she settled down, but I felt like planting my foot straight up her butt for being an jerk in front of guests.

It drives me batty that she thinks everyone who comes into our home is coming with the sole purpose of giving attention to her.

I know some of this expectation is because for almost 4 years, virtually anyone who did come into our home gave her oodles of attention.  She got very used to receiving undivided adoration.  She had a hard time getting half as much attention when G was born.  Now that she is only getting a third, since M's birth, it makes her come unglued.

I also suspect tiredness played a role.  We have had a crazy-busy week with lots of excitement outside the norm.  She had Girl Scouts on Wednesday night, her birthday dinner with gifts on Thursday, the winter festival at her school last night, and then guests over tonight.  Plus, tomorrow morning is her friend birthday party.

D and I have had to start having "talks" with N before we see Mamaw because she gets her panties in a twist when Mamaw attempts to give any kind of attention to G and M.  N has a hard time sharing her Mamaw (and her Nana, for that matter) with anyone else.  Apparently, she also has a hard time sharing K too.

These talks usually help prevent minimize Veruca Salt behavior.  Wish we would have had the wherewithal to have one tonight prior to our guests arrival.

1 comment:

Keri said...

Sounds like a frustrating evening for you! I'm sorry you didn't get to enjoy your company as much as you'd have liked to. Hopefully you at least got to know K's D a little better.