Adsense

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I am not your jungle gym

Let me go ahead and ask it right now:  Does anyone else's 5-year-old expect his or her parents/grandparents to be human jungle gyms that he/she can climb on all the live-long day?  Or is it just my kid?

N is a bundle of energy, a constant whirling dervish of spazz.  She gets home from school and is on and off the couch, running around the living room, smashing her face into the recliner, chasing her brother, laying upside down with her feet over the back of the couch.

When her grandmothers visit, N hangs on them like a monkey swings on ropes.  She jumps on their backs. Dangles from their necks.  Lays on the floor, inches her legs up their legs, grabs their hands, and then flips over.

I don't know how much of this is that she is 5 (almost 6) and kids this age just act this way.  Or if it's because she behaves so splendidly at school that she has to get her funkies out when she comes home.  Or if it's that she sees her wild-ass 2-year-old brother running on the couch and jumping on things and wants to do it too.

I try to roughhouse with N the way I do with G, but it is difficult because she has legs that go on forever, and she uses said legs to kick whenever I try to tickle her.  And she is so lanky that I inevitably get some bony body part rammed into my hip or thigh or arm.  I hate to say it, but it is more fun and less dangerous to wrestle with the squishy toddler than it is the gangly kindergartener.

Plus, the toddler has never gotten used to having mom all to himself, so he is way less demanding than N, who had all of me for almost 4 years.  That much undivided attention set a precedent that she is in no way ready to let go off.  When I tell N that I need to stop whipping her around to rest, she badgers and badgers me to continue.  She might suggest a different activity, but it always involves me exerting energy that I simply don't have these days.  I guess G just doesn't know to expect much out of me to begin with.  He's happy with whatever little playtime with me that he gets.

Tonight I was spinning the kids on the hardwood floor---holding their hands while they sat on their bottoms, twirling their arms in circles.  I did it any number of times to both N and G but eventually had to stop because.....dammit, I was tired.

I know N just wants to have fun, but I seriously get tired....literally physically tired....trying to be the human playground equipment that she seems to want me to be.

No comments: