Adsense

Thursday, October 15, 2009

A post about my breasts

There was a time in my life, from age 10 until maybe 17, when I spent a lot of time thinking about and noticing my breasts. Usually wanting them to be bigger.

At some point, I stopped thinking about them. Maybe when I realized that I had so many other stellar qualities that my mammaries weren't terribly critical. Har-har.

But now my breasts have a life of their own. Their own zip code. As they always have while I'm nursing my children.

I could add the following to my list of "shit I forgot about having a new baby:" Breast tenderness. Breast tingling whenever I get that filling up sensation. Breasts tingling some more whenever I let down. Breasts on fire whenever M latches on poorly, which at this rate is still quite often.

I am astounded by how excellent newborns are at swatting at sore nipples with their flailing arms as one tries to latch them on. I am equally astounded by how insistent they are about falling sound asleep whenever one tries to swaddle their arms to make latching on easier and not so darn dangerous.

So, once again, I am spending a lot of time thinking about and noticing my breasts.
Good times.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have absolutely no idea who I am but I found you through MoMommy's blog. I am JUST like you...most likely always had these problems but the minute I became a mom it went into overdrive. I am not currently on any meds but at some point I think I am going to have to go back to them. I also took Lexapro. This last round it seemed to make me itch a lot. Anyways...I was so glad I found your blog...it somehow made me feel less crazy about myself :) I constantly find myself thinking and worrying about things that most people don't even think about...my son wandering out into the street and getting hit by a car, him getting kidnapped, something happening to me and him not having a mom...these thoughts literally consume me sometimes... it's disgusting. I have been so bad these last couple of years it's been insane...I was going to the chiropractor and after reading about it can sometimes in rare instances cause a stroke I flipped out and convinced myself I was having a stroke from my neck adjustment and convinced my dr. to order an MRI to check. This year has been one thing after another b/c of this anxiety. Anyways you probably think I am some kind of crazy person after all this but I just wanted to say I have enjoyed reading your blog and I am really stoked to have found it...

Momisodes said...

Ah yes. The joys of breastfeeding. Aside from the joy of actually filling a cup size, there really is so much else that also comes with breastfeeding that they don't tell you about.