Adsense

Monday, October 26, 2009

And the diagnosis is....

An infected c-section incision. To add some excitement to my already thrilling life.

I was able to see the nurse practitioner, and she gave me a script for Keflex, which she said should knock it out. But she wants to see me again on Friday to keep tabs on it.

It occurred to me last night in the shower that an infection could be the culprit, given the discoloration of the skin, and while that sounded a heck of a lot better than a hernia, my anxious brain ran into the woods thinking things like, "What if it's a drug-resistant strain that requires lancing the wound and intravenous medication?"

But I do feel tremendously better knowing what it is and being able to do something about it. Now if only the H1N1 vaccine would make its way to me via the local health department I might be able to really calm down. Of course, the threat of SIDS will be on my radar for another 3-5 months, but I can manage that one alright....or at least I managed it twice before.

And, today at least, nursing went more smoothly. I think (knock wood) M is getting the idea that
1. he doesn't need to smack the shit out of my breasts with his hands to get them to work
and
2. he needs to open his mouth wide if he wants to suckle.

Sweet relief.

3 comments:

Shelby said...

I'm glad to hear that it's not a hernia. I have a little hernia at my belly button after having four kids. It's not pretty but it doesn't require surgery. I suppose it's just a momento of four healthy pregnancies. :) Hope you are feeling better soon. Remember, if there is anything I can do to help, just ask.

Momisodes said...

I'm glad to hear the NP put you on antibiotics and is following you closely. I hope that does the trick in clearing it up.

Kelsey said...

I'm so sorry about the infection - that's just kind of a low blow on top of the sleep deprivation and general madness that is mothering a newborn.