Adsense

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Christmas planning

It is almost November, so I am beginning to stew a bit over the holidays and what to get the kids. I am really going to try to keep things at a minimum because they get so, so much from grandparents and aunts/uncles. Throw in mommy & daddy and Santa, and you have an insane amount of stuff. And, I, as the keeper and stower of the stuff, does not know what to do with more stuff.

So here is the game plan:

Each child will get 1 gift from Santa, and no more than 5 small things in their stockings.
Each child will get 1 gift from Mommy and Daddy.
Children will share 1-3 gifts that all can use (ok, M will use in a couple years, but whatev).

And while this seems reasonable, I know it is still too much stuff.

M will be getting a baby book from Santa, and an outfit for his 3-month picture in January from Mommy and Daddy. He is the uber easy one.

G will be happy with anything with wheels, or a puzzle of cars/trucks, or a book. He is really easy too.

N is another story altogether. She is over the Disney princesses and has a million Barbies, but she isn't really into anything else either. Since we don't have cable, she isn't into Hannah Montana or iCarly or anything of that nature. She has plenty of clothes. Both my mom and MIL are relying on me to give them ideas of what to get N, but since I don't know what to get her myself, I think this will be darn near impossible.

Aside from the difficulty of buying for her, I am also faced with the fact that she will be aware of how "even" things are between her and her brothers. For example, I would have Santa get G a little Matchbox car because G would totally be thrilled and "Santa" likes to be frugal, but N would say, "Why did Santa get me this and got G this dinky little car?"

And then there's my list of gift cards for N's teachers, and her bus driver, and her Daisy troop leader.

It is really hard being the leader of Santa's elf brigade for this household.


5 comments:

Keri said...

I think I've asked this before, but is N into arts and crafts at all? There are so many reasonably-priced options out there at places like Michael's and Ben Franklin's. Or would she want/need your help with such materials (which, at this point, would probably be a good reason for not buying them)?

I guess I'm spoiled, because I could get away with getting nothing but art and craft supplies for Bailey and she'd be thrilled out of her gourd.

If I think of any other ideas for N, even if they're long-shots, I'll pass them along.

Giselle said...

I made Andrew a little coupon book last year that was a HUGE hit. It had things like "You choose dinner" and "Stay up an hour late" and "Go on a date with Dad." , etc etc. He felt so cool turning in his coupons...and I made sure nothing in it cost too much or was too much trouble. Some coupons I'd ever write, 'only good on weekends' or whatever.

As if you have time to create something like that ;) But I know that experiences are more valuable to Andrew than things...for his birthday, he didn't even know what to ask for. Grrrr...and don't even get me started about Christmas. So for his birthday (Nov. 27), we are getting him something small to open, and then just Jeff and I are taking him on a train ride downtown and going to tour a battleship that is parked on the Delaware...something Andrew has always wanted to do, but we know we can't take the two littles to.

Boy...I'm not much help at all. How about crafts? Computer game?

Erin said...

See? You are ON THE BALL, girl.

My parents did this, and I've continued it with our kids: giving stocking gifts that are essential items, but they're wrapped & put in the stocking so they feel really special. We always got and now I always give: a new toothbrush, a pack of socks, a pack of underwear, an orange, and a pack of pens/ crayons/ colored pencils (whatever is age-appropriate and needed at the time).

Anonymous said...

Has N played with any of the Littlest Pet Shop toys? Grace loves to play with these.

I do the same thing as Erin for the stockings. I try to stuff them with things I need to buy anyway, but more of a fun version of each item.

Susan

Kelsey said...

This is a good reality check for me because I get too caught up in wanting Christmas to be magical and special and I go overboard.

With Harper I fret because she gets things for birthday and Christmas and that's pretty much it for the year - I want to make sure we have things she'll play with throughout the year.

I think you're on top of things and you aren't creating unrealistic expectations for your kids - which, in this instance, I probably am.