Adsense

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Memory v. Truth--elementary school version

I shudder to think of my childhood experiences at St. R from grades 1-8. Not that it was all bad, but there are certain highly unpleasant incidents that really stick out. These unhappy moments are part of the reason I am like a nazi when it comes to kids (particularly my kid) treating another kid in a mean-spirited way.

Here is a timeline of my memories from grade school:

1st and 2nd grade-- I played Star Wars on the playground with M.M. and G.H. I was Princess Leia, M.M. was Luke Skywalker, and G.H. was....well, I can't actually remember if he was Han Solo or Chewbaca, or maybe he played both roles as needed. M.M. was my "boyfriend" those two years. He eventually moved to another school, but he did invite me to a birthday party at his home and even had a nameplate at the far end of the table for me, as if he were the king and I were the queen.

3rd grade-- No outstanding memories here.

4th grade-- I wore these suede, mocassin-like boots to school and was made fun of by the "popular kids" for wearing what they lovingly called combat boots. Began to notice a difference between the "cool" kids and the dorks, nerds, and geeks, a category to which I and most of the other kids fell into.

5th grade-- Got into a fist fight of sorts with B.A., a girl with whom I had a very strange relationship. We had "on" years and "off" years. Fifth grade was an "off" year. During one of our "on" years, we made up romance stories for each other. She was in love with a basketball player, and I was in love with Nick Rhodes from Duran Duran (and only god knows why I selected him).

6th grade-- One of the moms who often worked in the cafeteria was walking out to her car one day while my class had recess. She had long, pretty red fingernails. She and my mom were friendly, so I ran over to her and commenced to ooooh and ahhhh over her nails. A couple of the popular girls, one named S.H., proceeded to ask me if I was gay. A short time later, S.H. had to leave St. R's because she was pregnant by an 18-year-old. I thought there was some divine justice in this.

7th grade-- The Year That Doth Sucked Ass.
I was never popular by any stretch of the imagination. I performed in the yearly talent shows, virtually always dancing to Duran Duran music, and some kids apparently hated me for this. Maybe I was a show-off? I just liked to dance, so my goal in dancing was never to piss anyone off but just because I really loved to dance. But the viewpoint of a child can be weird and certainly egocentric.

As in the case of this next memory. I remember being on the playground in 7th grade and being surrounded by what seemed like every kid in the 7th and 8th grade classes....or at least every popular, cliquish, bully-type kid. I remember one girl saying to me, "You're a bitch," to which I just replied, "Yeah, I know." Because what am I gonna say when I have all these kids hovering around me, eager to pounce on my ass if given the slightest opening? I don't remember there being any teachers around. And maybe it wasn't as many kids as it seemed. But I felt like a cornered animal. I have never, ever, ever gotten over that.

8th grade-- Perhaps as a result of this 7th grade incident, my goal in life became to "show them up," all the kids who made fun of me, made fun of my shoes, and generally made my life hell in 7th grade. I proceeded to get straight As, become a cheerleader (not the A team, but a cheerleader nonetheless), and win the Principal's Award, the highest honor at the school. I felt vindicated. It was the only way I knew to say a giant "FUCK YOU" to the mean girls.

BUT,
There is one memory that plagues me, and it was my behavior that was the problem. There was a girl named P.M., a short, kinda chunky girl with curly hair, who was simply one of the nicest, sweetest kids you could ever meet. I didn't play with her afterschool or on weekends, but she was always nice to me and we hung out with some other girls on the playground.

I don't know what age I was when I said this, but at one point, I was very mean to her and distinctly remember saying, "I don't want to hang out with you." Given the treatment that I had experienced, you'd think I wouldn't have been such as asshole, but I remember it to this day. I doubt P.M. does, or if she does, she realized what a jerk I was being and didn't let it bother her for longer than 5 seconds.

Recently, I saw one of the mean girls from my childhood. She was the bane of my St. R. existence. K.K. made fun of my shoes on a regular basis, whether it was the "combat boots" or the "buddies" I wore (my parents didn't buy me name brand shoes as her parents did). Her daughter and mine were in the same recital.

I saw her and just had to say something, if for no other reason than to show myself that I have gotten "over it." She was friendly, or about as friendly as I expected her to be, and introduced me to her kids. Her oldest child is in a wheelchair, apparently as a result of a pretty severe birth injury.

My feelings were mixed upon seeing her. We didn't talk for longer than 3 minutes because, really, we have nothing to say to each other. No common shared anything...other than dislike. I have to admit I wondered a lot about karma after seeing her, though, in light of her son's condition. And by this, I don't suggest that she got her "just desserts." I see children with disabilities as having their own special unique gifts and blessings that they bring to families. But I couldn't help find it odd that a child who made such fun of others for being different has such a different child of her own.

And so this is why I try to be vigilant about talking to N (and G later on) about children who are different from them, whether from Down Syndrome or race or whatever, and making them aware that they are to 1. treat them with respect and kindness, and 2. remember that all children just want to make friends and have fun. And bringing my kids down a notch with a tongue lashing if I ever hear them bragging about what they have and poo-poohing other kids who don't.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this post, but you definitely shocked me with the Cheerleader thing. Really??

I feel the same way about making those same points to my kids. I sure as hell hope I'm successful or I will feel like I really failed as a parent.

Beth

Devin said...

Carrie,

I could really relate to this post. Middle school years were the worst years of my entire life, and I still carry around bad feelings for those people that were nasty to me. I never understood why they were so hateful and mean...and I still dont. I remember seeing one guy about a year after highschool graduation and his face was a zit farm...and I remeber thinking "Haha Karma is a Bitch".

I just wish that during those god awful years that I would have had the courage and the self confidence to stand up for myself more...Teaching your kiddos to treat other kids with respect is SO important, but also remind them that if they every find themselfs at the recieving end of the bullying that it is ok to stand up for themselfs.

Unknown said...

Carrie,
I just came across your blog via FB. I saw this article and it was like reading something from my own life! Middle School was a hell I have still not fully gotten over, which is sad I know, but how easily can you forget trying to avoid getting your ass kicked on a daily basis for 3 years? The ironic part is that I did NOTHING to those children. I was not lucky enough to be so far below the radar zone as to just be forgotten about, but by far not cute and popular either. I also have to say that the girls were FAR WORSE than the boys. My oldest son is going into the 5th grade this year, and I shudder to think about him going into middle school. The only thing that keeps me less-worried is that I truly feel that the girls have it worse than the boys do. Middle school girls can be BRUTAL. I had one of those girls send me a friend request on FB the other day. I just sat there and stared at it thinking "really? are you really serious?" Unless this girl was to send me some forgiving note acknowledging how she made my life a living hell, made me have panic attacks, dread school, and feel absolutely alone and miserable for 3 YEARS there is no way I will just over look what she did 20+ years ago. I'm sorry, but I find it hard to believe that even as adults these people are much better than they were as children. Cold way to think? Maybe. But how do you forgive human beings that scarred you for life? I am constantly vigilant with my 2 boys on how they treat other children, both boys and girls alike. I also talk to them constantly about being a good person and bullying, and being bullied. I guess that Middle School is a rite of passage that we all must go through. I do believe in Karma, and what goes around comes around. My high school years were MUCH better, and a lot of those bullying girls got pregnant early, were burn out's in high school, or just faded into oblivion when it was no longer seen as cool to make fun of someone's hair, what they were wearing, or how easily you could make someone cry. =) Sorry to write so much, it's just that when I read your post it was such a mirror of my own middle school years I had to send a shout out to you. =)

Angie