Adsense

Sunday, August 23, 2009

"Slight" baby fever

Last night my niece was baptized. While the priest was holding her up after pouring the water on her head, I couldn't help but feel a little buzz of excitement over the idea of having a new baby. Now that my class is over, I am starting to realize that in 7 short weeks I will be a new mom again.

I have never been a big fan of the newborn "wormy" stage, when all they do is eat, sleep and poop. It is only a small step away from pregnancy parasitism----still sucking the life out of you but in a way that makes them far more difficult to carry around. But I suspect because this is my last child, I will relish the newborn period in a way I never have before (well, in a 3 seconds a day I might have to actually relish anything).

Increasingly, I am wondering what gender the baby is and what he/she will look like. Will he/she pop out with reddish hair like the other two....soon to be followed by blonde? Will he/she have blue eyes that stay blue? Will he/she be lefties like the other two? Or will D and I finally have a child who actually resembles us in some obvious way?

More and more, friends and acquaintances have been asking if I have any sense of what gender the baby is, and I absolutely do not. This pregnancy has been kinda in the middle of the other two. My hope is that this doesn't equal hermaphroditism.

In a way, I hope it is a girl for two reasons: 1. I love to buy girl clothes, and 2. If N and I do not develop a close adult relationship like what my mom and I have, I at least have a chance with another daughter. However, with the age difference between N and this baby, they might not develop a friendship quite as readily as G and this baby would if it is a boy.

Logistically, it would be so much easier if this baby is a boy. Dump him and G in the same room---space issues totally resolved. But good grief, the idea of having two boys two years apart in age is freaking scary.

So that's where I'm standing right now in terms of excitement about this baby. Not shouting to the moon with joy, but a calm sense of knowing I better cherish what is left of my pregnancy and the newborn period of my last baby.

2 comments:

Giselle said...

I totally had a dream the other night that I was at the hospital talking to Dean...who was certainly NOT Dean in real life...so I was talking to dream Dean and about your new baby, and they wheeled you out into the waiting room in your hospital gown and I ran up to you and told you that your little boy was the cutest thing ever. And you started crying because I found out the gender and said it before you could announce that it was a boy and you hated me forever and forever.

BTW...I have a 0% correct guessing rate on babies, so based on this dream, I'd say you're having a girl. ;)

Keri said...

You're right to cherish every bit of this last one, third trimester included. I've tried to do that with Jonah too, but even while I was being very conscious of savoring every moment, I'm sincerely sad to report that his first year of life is a blur to me. I have no idea where it went, and my heart aches when I think about it.

The moral of the story is...try even HARDER than I did to savor your baby's babyhood, and maybe you'll have better success.