Adsense

Friday, October 17, 2008

Former flames

I have been patting myself on the back a little bit lately for something that is seemingly unimportant but of which I feel proud.

Prior to marrying D, I dated maybe 10 guys, some more seriously than others. Now this doesn't count the stupid, barely preteen, at the pool relationships I had (those are totally forgettable).

And of those 10 guys I dated, I had more serious relationships with 5 of them. (Ok, I considered them more serious relationships either due to the intensity of the relationship (you can use your imagination here if you are on the dense side) or for the length of the relationship. It is quite possible, though, that the guys did not agree with my perspective).

One I saw when I was pregnant with N, and he didn't whop me in the face, which was considerate of him given how badly I dumped him when I was 19. My high school sweetheart got in touch with me by email a couple years ago, so I knew how he was doing and that he didn't hate me for breaking up with him during my freshman year of college. Another I saw at a church picnic a couple years back with his family and caught up.

But there were 2 gentlemen I hadn't heard from for many years, and FB helped me make contact. It was a little awkward, especially with one of them, because in that case I had been dumped by him and for many years felt like whopping him in the head should I ever have an occasion to see him.

Anyway, so now I have made contact with all of my more serious former flames and feel a sense of closure. I am over any lingering animosity I may have had due to an unhappy split and have moved on with my life, and they have done likewise. It wasn't like I was harboring any unhappy feelings, but it feels good to have reconnected and know that I am not on anyone's shit list from years past (which is good because I'm on shit lists from the more recent past of early 2008).

Hmmm, I must be channeling John Cusack from High Fidelity. Where is my cool background music?

2 comments:

Tricia said...

I love the Aimee Mann on that soundtrack!

Keri said...

You're braver than I am. I'm glad things turned out well for you with all 5 of them. As far as I know, there's only one former flame who still harbors anger towards me, although years later I did everything I could to apologize to him for how crappy I was. (I think you may know the one of whom I speak!) It does sort of hurt my feelings that he hasn't forgiven me, but there's absolutely zip that I can do about it now!